Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1

Went and looked at 2 junked SL650's...then bought a 780SLT instead!

Did not buy either.

First one in pieces and the guy had stuff all over his shop...nope...sorry...too unorganized for me to do business with.

Second was in a field of poison ivy. Sort of interested to begin with but then noticed the pie plate being used as a gasket in the exhaust pipe. Decided if that was indicative of what happened to the poor thing I would skip it.

I'll keep an eye out.
    Last edited by stimpsonjcat; 06-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.

+1
    Next! You can find way better! Keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    Did not buy either.

First one in pieces and the guy had stuff all over his shop...nope...sorry...too unorganized for me to do business with.

Second was in a field of poison ivy. Sort of interested to begin with but then noticed the pie plate being used as a gasket in the exhaust pipe. Decided if that was indicative of what happened to the poor thing I would skip it.

I'll keep an eye out.
    Not only was it in a field of poison ivy, but it prolly hasn't been winterized. And the whole pie plate.. thats a first..

I do remember someone selling a hurricane not to long ago, great ski for a great price. I offered on it but won't be able to purchase until July-August.. So go right ahead.

Hurricane for sale

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Well that happened QUICK!

Found a 1996 SLT780, the EXACT same year and make as my recent purchase/rebuild, at the local dealer listed as a parts boat. Dealer said the PTO cylinder has lost some compression. Got it home and sure enough it has suffered edge erosion in the PTO. It looks like someone had the block halves apart and RTV'd them when they went back together. It is also around the rear seal. So first order of business will be taking the carbs off and disconnecting the exhaust so I can do a leak down test. She'll actually crank, but doesn't seem to want to stay running. CEN and MAG look OK, though MAG may be a bit lean. MFD doesn't power up, but I haven't checked the fuse yet and even if it failed like the last one I now know how to fix that most likely.

Best part? $300 and it is really in better shape than my other 780.

Here's a pic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski2_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	275323

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    Well that happened QUICK!

Found a 1996 SLT780, the EXACT same year and make as my recent purchase/rebuild, at the local dealer listed as a parts boat. Dealer said the PTO cylinder has lost some compression. Got it home and sure enough it has suffered edge erosion in the PTO. It looks like someone had the block halves apart and RTV'd them when they went back together. It is also around the rear seal. So first order of business will be taking the carbs off and disconnecting the exhaust so I can do a leak down test. She'll actually crank, but doesn't seem to want to stay running. CEN and MAG look OK, though MAG may be a bit lean. MFD doesn't power up, but I haven't checked the fuse yet and even if it failed like the last one I now know how to fix that most likely.

Best part? $300 and it is really in better shape than my other 780.

Here's a pic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski2_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	275323

Goooooood buy.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Looks good, almost bought a SLT myself when I was looking for skis this year, but all but 1 I looked at turned out to be complete turds, and the 1 that was decent was overvalued by the dealer it was at.

Thread Information