Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

help with my 2000 slh

This is the second season I have owned this pwc with no issues. I was on a fide yesterday with a neighbor a couple of miles from the house when she cut off and would not restart. He towed me home and I would occasionally try to restart it with no luck. This morning I changed the plugs (the old ones did not look fouled) and it started right up. I rode it for about 2 minutes and it cut off. It would not immediately restart. After about a minute it started and I headed back to my dock and it cit off before I got there it would restart for a few se ones and it would not restart at all. Any suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does it crank at normal speed but not fire up, or does it not crank at all?

When it does not start, do you have spark?

Compression good?

I have not checked compression yet. It turns over strong so I believe it is a spark problem. I have been reading the forums about the cdi problem and the orange wire problem. You should know that I am mechanically retarded but I have a good friend helping me that is gifted at this stuff if I can give him good info and documentation. The thing that does not seem to match up about my problem is that my slh cuts off while running and will not restart. I don't kill it intentionally and then try to restart it. It does not bog down like it is a fuel problem it just cuts off.

+1
    Any red lamp or warning messages on display?

Engine quits while riding; Check for corrosion or broken, loose wires or screws inside electrical box.

Check for corrosion or wire chaffing in lanyard wiring and the switch itself. The lanyard and Stop switch works by grounding the Yellow/Black wire. If that wire is shorting to ground the engine will stop instantly. It will it start while that wire is grounded.

Also check for anything that might impair the grounding of the electrical box. The entire box is grounded to the engine via a single Black wire that runs to the stator housing at the front of the engine. Must have a solid zero ohms between engine block and electrical box black terminals. Also zero ohms between battery negative post and electrical box ground. Battery positive disconnected while doing ohm checks

Polaris PWC wiring colors - what each wire color is used for, Fuji and domestic

OK great! I'm putting a new drive shaft in my Challenger 1800 Tuesday and if all goes well I'll put that in the water and retrieve the SLH and get started on your suggestions. Thanks!
    BTW my heads up display does not work

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by godofpie View Post
    ... BTW my heads up display does not work
    Heads up display? No such thing on a Polaris Just a regular LCD Multi-Function Display...

If the MFD display is not working, that can sometimes cause engine running problems. My signature links have an MFD section. If the fuse is good and you cannot get the display to work, then unplug the display to avoid potential interference with the ignition system.

Found the problem! Did you know that cocoons are not conductive? I took apart the laynard housing and some critter had built a home on the inside of the kill switch. I cleaned it out and it fired right up! Thanks for your help!

Thread Information