Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

yamalube substitute

Im new to this and was just wondering if there is a safe and less expensive substitute for yamalube for my 03 gp1300r

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    How much are you paying for your Yamalube?

Many of us run Amsoil with excellent success, assuming you want to stay synthetic, which in the realities of today's ethanol polluted gas, is a good idea. Around here the Amsoil HP injector is notably cheaper than Yamalube.

If you want to go with a regular Dino oil, pretty much anything that adheres to Outboard 2-cycle oil standards (designed for injection) will do fine - just take note that some of them *stink* when burned and youre puttering along at low speed so be prepared.

Where is a good place to get Amsoil??

Im payin about $35 a gallon here in South Carolina. im just wondering if there is a cheaper option being as i go thro about a gallon ever 4 tanks of gas

i use pennzoil semi synthetic xlf. About $17 at walmart

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by littlea View Post
    Im payin about $35 a gallon here in South Carolina. im just wondering if there is a cheaper option being as i go thro about a gallon ever 4 tanks of gas
    I'm paying about $40 for a gallon of Amsoil up here, so that wouldn't constitute any savings, but I do value the quality and synthetic nature of the Amsoil so it's worth it to me.

I do know that some people pay exorbitant prices for the manufacturer branded oil up here, sometimes upwards of $50-$60 a gallon, so that was why I asked how much you were paying – the Amsoil may have constituted a savings.

Although the synthetic verses dinosaur oil debate will continue forever, there is one thing that's not debatable - synthetic oils are more resilient against wash-away on your cylinder walls if you end up with any water in your gas, something that happens all too often now with the new ethanol gasses that we are pretty much all forced to buy.

+1
    Not sure if it would be a savings but Klotz SkiCraft is good stuff and smells good...I ran that with good results...

Yeah ive checked out the klotz before seems to be good stuff but its about $20 more per galon than yamalube

+1
    littlea, I think you're going about this the wrong way. It is more important to spend money on a QUALITY oil then it is to save money on a not so great oil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    littlea, I think you're going about this the wrong way. It is more important to spend money on a QUALITY oil then it is to save money on a not so great oil.
    x2. Pay the bit extra for the true synthetic, IMHO, and be happy. With all the ethanol in the gas today (as I mentioned earlier) it not only acts as a solvent that washes oil off the cylinder walls, but is also notorious for absorbing water...which, when it hits your cylinder walls will also wash the oil film off - either way, for a split second, you're metal on metal.

The synthetic oils are much more resistant to this "washing" effect and even if you end up with a bit of a phase-separated tank of ethanol gas, or even worse yet, some water in your tank, your engine will live through it to see another day.

Using the cheapest oil you can find, the result may be different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information