Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller or wear ring issue I need help quickly

I am having an issue with my Seadoo and I am not sure if it is the wear ring or the impeller. I can see a bit of light damage to the edge of the impeller. I can also see some scratches in the wear ring but none of it looks too bad. Last year I was running 70 Mph and this year I get a best of 68 mostly 67 with alot more cavitation when I take off. I also am hittiong 8200 when I was at 8120 last year. So a loss of 2-3 MPH and a gain of 100 RPMS I occasionally saw 8240 RPMS and I can run 8100 at about 3/4 throttle. I really expected to see more damage to the wear ring, but it doesnt look that bad to me. Can I get you guys to take a look and let me know what you think? I bought a new wear ring, but like I said it doesnt look that bad. I am riding tomorrow and have to put it back together tonight. Should I try the new wear ring anyway or should I try bending the prop a bit and leave the old wear ring or try bending the prop a bit and put the new wear ring in
    anyway. I know so many questions LOL. I will attach some pics I left them big so hopefully they will load.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-23 20.05.56.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	275345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-23 20.06.32.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	275344

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    With cooler air temps your set up might be wanting to turn higher rpm. But if your ECU is stock then at 8200+ you are at or past its rpm limit and as a result your engine will be losing power not making more. That is one reason why you might be seeing a reduction in your speed. You could repitch/add some pitch to your prop to bring your rpm down and probably bring your speed back. But temperature fluctuation can move your rpm up or down several 100rpm. I always pitch my props to cater to the colder time of the year and then expect to always loose a little bit (not much) of rpm in the height of summer.

Your prop and wear ring look pretty normal.

Also check your carbon seal for wear or cracks that could result in cavitation from your holeshot.

I disagree...your wear ring "looks" worn. What kinda clearance did you have between it and your prop?

R's up + cavitation and slower top speeds? Just flip your ring...save your new one for next time. You also may be experiencing some washer slip...when was the last time your checked/ had it serviced?

you can just flip the ring over and test again..., thats a little secret to extend the life of those things...
    As you could see the ring its only use by the prop for almost half of it, so if its not too much damage you can turn it over...

How do you get the wear ring out to flip it? Last time I just cut it out with a sawzall and replaced. I didnt check the clearance. I had the supercharger all done last year when I put it on and I expected I wouldnt gain rpms and lose speed if the SC was slipping right?

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    put it in your freezer over night. In the morning it should slip right out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeydude View Post
    put it in your freezer over night. In the morning it should slip right out.
    Doesnt even have to be all night...usually a hour or so will do..

THnaks guys the freezer trick worked great I am almost done I should be done by 1:00 woohoo I am hoping this helps alot. I have alot of new parts to put in and I want to be wherre I was first and then add.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Good luck with flipping the wear ring

If I changed or flipped my wear ring everytime mine looked like that, I would be doing it weekly.

But what do I know.

+1
    Heres a little trick used that some of us here in Chicago did when we ran the plastic wear rings..buy yourself a tube of plastic epoxy,mix it and then fill in the gaps using a popsicle stick..then take the edge of that stick,or any other straight edge and run it around the inside of the ring creating a smooth and flat surface....after that let it dry 24 hours and your wear ring is somewhat in like new condition...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information