GPSHO Broken trim cable

EDIT: I just checked the cable again and it did not "break." The red outer cable pulled out of the fitting where it goes through the transom.

Hello all, I just finished a GP-SHO build and I broke a brand new trim cable within half an hour of a moderate "break in" run on the lake. During the build I replaced the old cable with a brand new one just to be safe. I have searched and came up with nothing. Did I get a bad cable from the factory? Or is this a common problem?

To be clear I did not make any wot runs with the trim all the way up or down. Just trimmed it down a bit while cruising to stop the porpoising.

Please help! I don't know if I should give the GP cable another go, or maybe try to retrofit an FZ style trim system...

Thanks in advance!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BailYes View Post
    Hello all, I just finished a GP-SHO build and I snapped a brand new trim cable within half an hour of a moderate "break in" run on the lake. During the build I replaced the old cable with a brand new one just to be safe. I have searched and came up with nothing. Did I get a bad cable from the factory? Or is this a common problem?

To be clear I did not make any wot runs with the trim all the way up or down. Just trimmed it down a bit while cruising to stop the porpoising. The cable broke in the center (midway between both ends). The center rod which moves back and forth is what broke.

Please help! I don't know if I should give the GP cable another go, or maybe try to retrofit an FZ style trim system...

Thanks in advance!
    I just fitted the FZ system and it was a bit of a pain to do a nice job of, I would think you got a bad cable as they are not prone to fail, did it just pull out of a crimp / swage ?

EDIT: I just checked the cable again and it did not "break." The red outer cable pulled out of the fitting where it goes through the transom. Thanks for asking me if it pulled out of a crimp. Thats what got me looking further! So now that i found the problem.... Is this a common failure point? Or am I just unlucky? Thanks !

Thread Information