Question 1100 ZXi Same Cylinder Burned on Two Different Engines - Carb Issue?

Hello, I have recently picked up a 1999 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi project ski, the previous owner replaced the engine with a rebuilt one in 2009, I was told everything was replaced but the carbs. It also came with the original engine, which had a burned piston on the PTO side. After a little maintenance (Carb Cleaning/Rebuild, Primer kit install, and pump oil change) I got it running, shortly after the piston on the PTO side shattered and tore up the head and cylinder walls. I am now planning on boreing the original engine over and rebuilding the top end, but I am just wondering what could be wrong that the same cylinder on two different engines would fail? The only link I can think of between the two is the carbs. I did run premix (50:1) when I first started it, to make sure it was getting oil. When I pulled the head after it blew up the damaged cylinder was VERY wet, and on the other engine that cylinder does seem to have more carbon build up than the other two. I am going to ditch the oil injection system and just run premix after I rebuild the top end. I am wondering if there is any way to determine what could have caused this, and if perhaps the carb on that cylinder could be dumping too much fuel/to little? I don't want to blow up my brand new top end. I have had and worked on Seadoos before, but this is my first Kawasaki. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!

lean condition is my guess, carbs/case seals.

+1
    x2 on carbs. Why dump the oil injection? The pumps never fail, just replace the hoses with polyurethane hose, secure with stainless safety wire, and you're good to go.

So maybe my carb cleaning and rebuild fixed it? They weren't very dirty inside, just a little sediment in the fuel pump, almost like sand? I drained the fuel tank and replaced the filters and lines also. It only ran for about 3-5 minutes since I had it, and its obvious that there was a preexisting issue. It does have the CV carbs, could my problem be caused by a problem with the valve in that carb? Also are there any adjustments for the fuel/air mixture on these carbs, all I saw was the idler adjustment screws. Sorry for all the dumb questions, I just want to avoid blowing up another engine. I had a oil pump fail on a 95 seadoo xp I had, so I dont really trust them anymore.Thanks for the replies everyone.

get a manual and follow it, has all the info.

+1
    Did you actually disassemble the carbs or just spray cleaner down the throat? A sticking slide will make it run badly, but I don't think it would burn up a cylinder. The CVs are a bit tricky to re-assemble.

I believe SeaDoo uses Mikuni oil pumps, too. Never heard of one failing, only lines coming off or splitting.

I took them apart, cleaned with carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air, and did a rebuild kit on all three (bellows, gaskets, etc). It has been in storage since 2009 so I didn't want to take any chances with old gas and oil sitting in there, they weren't nearly as bad as I expected, just a little sediment in the fuel pump. Won't be able to test anything until I get my top end rebuild kit and bored cylinders. Thanks.

Thread Information