Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Free Flow exhaust rubber pipe burst! flooded the hull

Went riding today and about 20mins in my FZR cut off and would not start! Removed the seat and notice water pouring into the hull. After towing it back to shore, noticed the rubber connector pipe from the Riva free flow exhaust burst and the blue rubber pipe connecting to the waterbox was completely loose (tighten it yesterday). I just installed the TBM super pump cone (checked clearance between cone and solas prop several times) could the exhaust failure be caused by the pump pressure being too high? Would it be better to install the Riva rear exit exhaust and and Riva Racing Pro series waterbox? What else may have cause the piping to failure? heat? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

FZR, Riva Stage 2, Gen2 power cooler, R&D watercooled supercharger housing, Riva Supercharger gear dampener, HKS SSQV Blowoff valve, TBM Super pump cone, TBM sponsons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	275397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	275398  

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    it's looks like the pipe is blistered and hose melted, you have a blockage somewhere or a hose came out.

NOTE: By any chance did you install the riva pump strainer and put the hole facing the back of the pump because that will do it the hole is suppose to face the front.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    That baby got HOT. Like Jim said, you have a water flow problem somewhere.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    it's looks like the pipe is blistered and hose melted, you have a blockage somewhere or a hose came out.

NOTE: By any chance did you install the riva pump strainer and put the hole facing the back of the pump because that will do it the hole is suppose to face the front.
    The temp warning light came on the after the first 5mins idling around, but I switched off the ski made sure there was no seeweed or dirt stuck in the pump housing and checked that the cooling pipes where connected. Then the temp warning light did not come on again for the remaining 15mins. I did remove the Riva billet pump strainer when instaling the TBM pump cone and suspect I may have installed the strainer the wrong way since you mentioned it. By hole facing the front do you mean the brass connector for the hose? Thanks.

P.S. is there an aftermarket temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge available for the FZR. Hate not being able to monitor that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	275419

+1
    Jim is taling about the strainer block itself. there is an opening only on one end of the strainer block. If it is installed 180 degrees/backwards, water supply will not happen. the opening in the strainer block must be matched up to the hole/opening in the pump stator. If you look at the right pic above, you can see there is a hole in the pump stator below the two front bolts. The strainer opening, (recessed when installed0, but also have the opening facing this hole for water supply.

+1
    Here is a pic of an OEM strainer. See the opening, it must be facing FOWARD towards the opening in the pump stator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-9.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	275466

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Jim is taling about the strainer block itself. there is an opening only on one end of the strainer block. If it is installed 180 degrees/backwards, water supply will not happen. the opening in the strainer block must be matched up to the hole/opening in the pump stator. If you look at the right pic above, you can see there is a hole in the pump stator below the two front bolts. The strainer opening, (recessed when installed0, but also have the opening facing this hole for water supply.
    Ok got it thanks. I will check it tomorrow, pretty sure I installed it backwards. How can I make sure nothing is damaged on the engine? head gasket? etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post

I will never understand why Riva is not put holes in both ends of there strainer like the oem one so people can't get it in backwards. This problem has been going on for several years and the cure is so simple ( put holes in both ends). IMO this does not speak too highly as to Riva staying on top of there customers problems and trying to make a better product,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayofzr View Post
    Ok got it thanks. I will check it tomorrow, pretty sure I installed it backwards. How can I make sure nothing is damaged on the engine? head gasket? etc.
    I think you are fine. These Yamaha engines are pretty tough. Do a compression test for a baseline. Inspect all the hoses and check for any discoloration on the motor from the heat. Fix the problem and do a water test.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I will never understand why Riva is not put holes in both ends of there strainer like the oem one so people can't get it in backwards. This problem has been going on for several years and the cure is so simple ( put holes in both ends). IMO this does not speak too highly as to Riva staying on top of there customers problems and trying to make a better product,
    Exactly!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Your right Tommy. If there was some reason not to have the holes on both sides, at least have it keyed so it CANT be installed backwards. Riva kinda blew it on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information