Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Shayofzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dar es Salaam, TZ
    Posts
    30
    +1
    1

    Free Flow exhaust rubber pipe burst! flooded the hull

    Went riding today and about 20mins in my FZR cut off and would not start! Removed the seat and notice water pouring into the hull. After towing it back to shore, noticed the rubber connector pipe from the Riva free flow exhaust burst and the blue rubber pipe connecting to the waterbox was completely loose (tighten it yesterday). I just installed the TBM super pump cone (checked clearance between cone and solas prop several times) could the exhaust failure be caused by the pump pressure being too high? Would it be better to install the Riva rear exit exhaust and and Riva Racing Pro series waterbox? What else may have cause the piping to failure? heat? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

    FZR, Riva Stage 2, Gen2 power cooler, R&D watercooled supercharger housing, Riva Supercharger gear dampener, HKS SSQV Blowoff valve, TBM Super pump cone, TBM sponsons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	275397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	275398  


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    it's looks like the pipe is blistered and hose melted, you have a blockage somewhere or a hose came out.

    NOTE: By any chance did you install the riva pump strainer and put the hole facing the back of the pump because that will do it the hole is suppose to face the front.

  3. #3
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Right side of Kansas
    Posts
    4,342
    +1
    87
    That baby got HOT. Like Jim said, you have a water flow problem somewhere.

  4. #4
    Shayofzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dar es Salaam, TZ
    Posts
    30
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    it's looks like the pipe is blistered and hose melted, you have a blockage somewhere or a hose came out.

    NOTE: By any chance did you install the riva pump strainer and put the hole facing the back of the pump because that will do it the hole is suppose to face the front.
    The temp warning light came on the after the first 5mins idling around, but I switched off the ski made sure there was no seeweed or dirt stuck in the pump housing and checked that the cooling pipes where connected. Then the temp warning light did not come on again for the remaining 15mins. I did remove the Riva billet pump strainer when instaling the TBM pump cone and suspect I may have installed the strainer the wrong way since you mentioned it. By hole facing the front do you mean the brass connector for the hose? Thanks.

    P.S. is there an aftermarket temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge available for the FZR. Hate not being able to monitor that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	275419

  5. #5
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    Jim is taling about the strainer block itself. there is an opening only on one end of the strainer block. If it is installed 180 degrees/backwards, water supply will not happen. the opening in the strainer block must be matched up to the hole/opening in the pump stator. If you look at the right pic above, you can see there is a hole in the pump stator below the two front bolts. The strainer opening, (recessed when installed0, but also have the opening facing this hole for water supply.

  6. #6
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    Here is a pic of an OEM strainer. See the opening, it must be facing FOWARD towards the opening in the pump stator.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-9.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	275466

  7. #7
    Shayofzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dar es Salaam, TZ
    Posts
    30
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Jim is taling about the strainer block itself. there is an opening only on one end of the strainer block. If it is installed 180 degrees/backwards, water supply will not happen. the opening in the strainer block must be matched up to the hole/opening in the pump stator. If you look at the right pic above, you can see there is a hole in the pump stator below the two front bolts. The strainer opening, (recessed when installed0, but also have the opening facing this hole for water supply.
    Ok got it thanks. I will check it tomorrow, pretty sure I installed it backwards. How can I make sure nothing is damaged on the engine? head gasket? etc.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    it's looks like the pipe is blistered and hose melted, you have a blockage somewhere or a hose came out.

    NOTE: By any chance did you install the riva pump strainer and put the hole facing the back of the pump because that will do it the hole is suppose to face the front.
    I will never understand why Riva is not put holes in both ends of there strainer like the oem one so people can't get it in backwards. This problem has been going on for several years and the cure is so simple ( put holes in both ends). IMO this does not speak too highly as to Riva staying on top of there customers problems and trying to make a better product,

  9. #9
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayofzr View Post
    Ok got it thanks. I will check it tomorrow, pretty sure I installed it backwards. How can I make sure nothing is damaged on the engine? head gasket? etc.
    I think you are fine. These Yamaha engines are pretty tough. Do a compression test for a baseline. Inspect all the hoses and check for any discoloration on the motor from the heat. Fix the problem and do a water test.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I will never understand why Riva is not put holes in both ends of there strainer like the oem one so people can't get it in backwards. This problem has been going on for several years and the cure is so simple ( put holes in both ends). IMO this does not speak too highly as to Riva staying on top of there customers problems and trying to make a better product,
    Exactly!

  10. #10
    Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,284
    +1
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I will never understand why Riva is not put holes in both ends of there strainer like the oem one so people can't get it in backwards. This problem has been going on for several years and the cure is so simple ( put holes in both ends). IMO this does not speak too highly as to Riva staying on top of there customers problems and trying to make a better product,
    Your right Tommy. If there was some reason not to have the holes on both sides, at least have it keyed so it CANT be installed backwards. Riva kinda blew it on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS:06-07 Seadoo gti Free Flow Exhaust Pipe
    By magna in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
  2. Just tested the Riva power filter and free flow exhaust
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
  3. Riva free flow exhaust vs. through the hull
    By RobbieMWD in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. RIVA free flow exhaust for the SHO are now available
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
  5. will the fx free flow exhaust mod fit the vx
    By nev350 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •