780 Piston Pin Removal

Getting ready to replace the CEN cylinder piston, rings, and cylinder. Just wanted to know if it is a pressed pin like the rest of the engines I've read about.

Is it possible to remove without a piston pin puller? Homemade or store bought?

Will I have enough room to get it out without removing the other cylinders & heads? As I recall there isn't much room between the cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    Getting ready to replace the CEN cylinder piston, rings, and cylinder. Just wanted to know if it is a pressed pin like the rest of the engines I've read about.

Is it possible to remove without a piston pin puller? Homemade or store bought?

Will I have enough room to get it out without removing the other cylinders & heads? As I recall there isn't much room between the cylinders.
    Ooooo, thats going to be a pita.. I used a socket on my PTO cylinder and lightly tapped it and the pin came out.. but I had room to hit it..

Not sure I have ever seen a 2 stroke with pressed wrist pins. I would think your engine has a floating pin with needle bearings on the small end of the rod. If it has clips in the piston holding the pin in then it is a floating pin. Pull out one of the clips and try to push the pin out. I have used a razor knife to debur the hole making it easier to get the pin out.

Floating pin is what I was hoping for. I guess I'll find out once I get the cylinder off. I've read about having to press the pins out on other Polaris models, so I was getting nervous. I don't want to have to pull the other cylinders just to change out the center one. With only about 2" to work with I don't see anyway of getting a piston pin puller in there to press it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    Floating pin is what I was hoping for. I guess I'll find out once I get the cylinder off. I've read about having to press the pins out on other Polaris models, so I was getting nervous. I don't want to have to pull the other cylinders just to change out the center one. With only about 2" to work with I don't see anyway of getting a piston pin puller in there to press it out.
    The pin is held in with circlips, but does not come out easily even with them removed. You will need a puller to get a pin out.

Figures, I'll pull the other cylinders to get the room needed.

Thread Information