Sl 1050 Weak Spark on MAG cylinder only

Any ideas of what would cause the MAG cylinder to have a weak spark? So weak I can hold onto it while it's running. CEN cylinder might be a little weak too. Spark tester doesn't light as good as PTO which is nice and strong.

Engine will run on single cylinders except MAG, so spark is pretty good on two cylinders I'm guessing

Tested all the wires, boots, cut back wires, and done all the diagnosis with the Ohm meter and can't find anything wrong with the readings. Doesn't that leave the CDI or Stator.

Does Stator have 3 seprate charging coils for cylinders or is it a single signal that fires the CDI/Coils sequence. Could it be a Stator with just one cylinder with a very week spark?

Could it be the CDI, does it charge the primary coil with sometype of med-high voltage? Any idea what the voltage should be while it's running?

I've got a CDI and Coil coming, but wanted input before ripping into it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links for lots of info on how the ignition system works.

"As the small timing magnet passes each Hall Effect sensor, the sensor dramatically changes resistance (to low ohms) and signals the CDI (Red, Green, Blue wires) to trigger spark on the corresponding cylinder"

Is this saying there are 3 hall effect sensors, one for each cylinder?

But if I'm getting some voltage from the secondary, doesn't that mean the sensors are at least working? That leaves the CDI or Coils. Right?

Could i swap the CDI blk/grn wire for blk/blu to Coil and then swap the corresponding plug wires to verify coil?

Did I think that through properly to check Coil? I've already verified all the resistance according to service manual and all are good?

The only thing we can not test is the CDI? right? Just swap it out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    "As the small timing magnet passes each Hall Effect sensor, the sensor dramatically changes resistance (to low ohms) and signals the CDI (Red, Green, Blue wires) to trigger spark on the corresponding cylinder"

Is this saying there are 3 hall effect sensors, one for each cylinder?

But if I'm getting some voltage from the secondary, doesn't that mean the sensors are at least working? That leaves the CDI or Coils. Right?
    There are three seperate Hall Effect sensors.

You can test each one using the 9 volt battery and ohm meter method. The key item is the sudden and drastic drop in resistance when the magnet passes the sensor. Without that clean signal the CDI will not properly fire the associated ignition coil.

Thread Information