Drive shaft not engaging prop when in water.

I have 2005 4-tec. Recently the carbon ring (around the drive shaft) chipped a major piece out of it, which meant
    a big leak. Ended up cutting the drive shaft out since I couldn't move stainless ring. (drive shaft was pretty rusted
    all the way up to that ring. New shaft in and all new seals etc,etc. Two things which I am having troubles with.

1. Out of the water when running it I can see that drive shaft move aft and the prop engages, but when sticking it
    in the water this does not appear to happen and there is this terrible whining noise and the prop is not rotating.
    Seems to me that the shaft spline is not engaging into the prop? Almost like the driveshaft is not long enough.

2. When looking at the carbon ring and the stainless flange (e.g. the shaft seal) they do not seem completely aligned.
    there is a slight gap on the port side, as well as the drive shaft not going through the center of the carbon ring.
    Looks to me like I need an engine alignment. But wanted to get some input, before taking that on.

TIA.

+1
    Did you get the right shaft for your ski? If you didn't move the motor then the shaft will go right back in if.you got the right one...

3. +1 by:

I ordered 271001522 which I am fairly certain is the right one, however when it showed up it didn't come in any packaging which
    had a SeaDoo part number and there is nothing stamped on it. Any idea how long 271001522 is suppose to be ? Since I cut my other one
    up so I can't get an accurate measurement from that one.

I didn't move the motor.

Thanks

+1
    Can you piece your old driveshaft together to compare lengths? You also need to make sure the groove for the c-clip which goes underneath the floating ring is in the correct position.

I am not 100% sure when, but at some stage the groove for the c-clip moved to a slightly different spot on the shaft. I am thinking this is your problem.

You will also need to closely inspect your driveshaft splines and impeller splines for damage. If the impeller was okay before the change, there is a fair chance it was taken damage from installation of the wrong shaft.

After inspecting the motor mounts, I believe the engine moved. See attached picture of starboard mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	276829

The others are not as noticeble but do appear a little off. So I think I need to move it back and re-align it. Anyway this will probably explain why the carbon ring blew to pieces in
    the first place.

+1
    I think you found the problems.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmussenc View Post
    After inspecting the motor mounts, I believe the engine moved. See attached picture of starboard mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	276829

The others are not as noticeble but do appear a little off. So I think I need to move it back and re-align it. Anyway this will probably explain why the carbon ring blew to pieces in
    the first place.
    i see the problem.. it says "made in canada"..

Thread Information