Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

towing solution for 2 SUV

Hi, I have 2 Yamaha SUVs, if i need to put both ski in lake, i would need to do the trip twice which is why i never have a chance to do it. I recently see a picture on line of a truck towing a Rv the RV then Tow a boat behind it and it say "triple tow". So i did a search on it and found that it is legal in Kansas to triple tow as long as it is not longer then 75feet.
    Now my question is that, does anyone here have this set up? and how do i get my current trailer to set up to tow another trailer? Thanks

+1
    Weld a piece of a 2 inch inside diameter square tube 6 inches long or so on the back of one of your trailers and slide a hitch in it. Basically make what I would call a "poor man's" reciever hitch. Depending on your trailer this might be easier said than done. After looking at my Shorelander trailer there is a crossbeam in the back that would be perfect for a hitch. I would say the safest but more expensive option would be to just buy a double trailer.

+1
    my cross beam is kind of bend , can i still do it?
    please look at the pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120615_233411.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	275447

+1
    That looks just like mine. You could use the 2 holes there and bolt something on also. I wish you lived closer to me, I could help you on this project Birdgod. Another thing to think about is if your second trailer puts too much weight on the back of your front trailer it could give you negative tongue weight on your front trailer. That could make it sway side to side and then your back trailer would sway or "whip" twice twice as much. Pulling double trailers can be extremly difficult as whatever action the first one does the second one will the same but twice as much. And good luck backing them up. If you think backing up one trailer is tough when you can't see it just try two. You also may have to extend your main wires to the back trailer to run your lights. That would be the easy part. I think your best bet would be to trade both your single tailers off on one doulbe trailer. I don't know if you ever get into Missouri or not with your ski but I'm pretty sure a double trailer set up would not be legal.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    I do this, but you need to be really careful - in areas that allow double towing (it's "doubles", not "triples") most areas require that the first trailer is a fifth wheel. In many other areas you need either a commercial licence, or a recrational doubles endorsement on your licence.

Name:	7277336244_de80d7a064_b.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	275465

I wouldn't recommend doing what you're suggesting though....but if you insist, you want to make sure all your ducks are in a row.

All that aside, two Jetski trailers, both being ball hitch and being short and stubby is (IMHO) a recipe for disaster trying to double tow. If you insist on doing it, get the wheels on the first trailer moved COMPLETELY to the back of the frame - it will increase tongue weight on the tow vehicle dramatically, some of which will be counteracted by the second trailers tonge weight removing some... and it will also make it dramatically more stable. You do NOT want the pup trailer to make the tongue weight on the lead trailer neutral, or negative, otherwise you WILL end up wreck the first time you get it up to speed and it all starts to sway - it will become cyclical and self-feeding VERY quickly, and the next thing you know one (or both) of your skis will be upside down.

There's a very good reason that double-towing ball-hitch trailers is illegal in most states and all Canadian provinces. The ones that it's still legal in are only a matter of time. It's marginal at best, and horribly unsafe at worst.

Personally, I'd recommend buying an inline-double trailer and be safe.

+1
    And in most areas, if not all, that allow double trailer tow setups...the first trailer is required to have brakes. I haven't seen any single place jetski trailers with brakes. Get a double wide trailer or make someone else tow the other SUV down to the water.

+1
    Man, seem like double towing is not the solution for me. Any more suggestion?

+1
    Seems like the verdict is in. You either need a double trailer, make two trips, or find a buddy to pull the other one.

+1
    There's no double trailer for yamaha SUV.......

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgod View Post
    There's no double trailer for yamaha SUV.......
    Anything can be made...

Name:	double_inline_jetski_5_800x600.jpg 
Views:	1599 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	275486

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information