02 GTX RFI stalling issue

Hello,

I have a 2002 GTX RFI which has a strange stalling problemthat I cannot figure out. Have notactually put it in the water yet but running it on a garden hose it will run okfor a few minutes then just stall. Problem changes some. Sometimesas soon as it stalls I would cut water and restart, then as soon as water wasreapplied it would stall. Other times, Icould restart water and it would last a maybe 30 seconds then stall again. Gets good throttle response but sometimes ifyou rev it up some it will stall when it idles down. Seems a little rough sometimes. When it stalls it is just like you pulled thedess key or hit the stop button. I triedsome different plugs and put on another TPS I had laying around. Don’t know really what to try next. Other than taking it to the water and see'sif it corrects itself but I don’t like doing that. Also there is no check engine light. Any ideas?

Thanks

+1
    RFI's are tricky but when proper setup they are quite reliable.

What you describe may not be a do it your self job. TPS need to be calibrated I've read on the forum that other than taking the ski to a shop you can buy a CannDoo diag system and also read any code stored on the MPEM. Your problem can be fuel related . Maybe the fuel press regulator isn't holding well .For that you will need a fuel press gauge. Also check the charging system (regular maintenance) get a multimeter set it to DC voltage and start the engine put the meter leads on the battery (red +) black(-) and rev up . You should see on the meter that as you accelerate voltage should rize ,if not there is a bad regulator and if there is not enough voltage on the system this could cause the stalling. Also Check your grounds. Other thing to check is the pick up coil (trigger ?? ) on those models it's on top of the magneto cover. Pull it out and check for water or any rust that can block the signal. This is just for starts . Hope this helps.

Well, I did the simple stuff and dropped her in the water. Runs great but does stall from time to time. My scanner does not do RFI's so I am kinda screwed there. She will run all day but if you let off the throttle quick it will stall, or if you rev it fast and let off the throttle quickly it will stall. I put on another TPS but with the same results although I can not zero it out myself. Does it still sound like a TPS problem?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Exactly what Andino said...Exactly.

there will be issues if you don't zero the tps. You can waste a whole bunch of time and _maybe_ blow the motor ( the tps sends info to the fuel injection on exactly how much air to expect..which is why the tps is reset if it is touched it can totally screw the mixture and often on the lean side if you set the idle speed without the tools. ( which explains your stalling). My old handheld seadoo programmer ( w ver 3.4p) can read codes and zero the tps on an rfi. So can Candoo..so can every system on the market I am aware of except the original SBT Scantool. No way to update your system to support RFI?..what are you using?

if you own an RFI and it starts misbehaving you simply must have the tools or access to them to correct the problem.

Anything else is folly.

Using seascan and no RFI support. When it stalls it is just like you pull the lanyard. completely dies and guages turn off, starts right back up. Might have to take it to be done if that is indeed the issue.

+1
    that gauge reset bit sure sounds like a dess post issue! I'd spend a few minutes checking over the wiring and the switch function ( a magnet placed flat on the top of the dess post should close the switch reliably.) any other key misbehaving?

I'm seeing so many bad posts over the last two years ( most on 96-97 GTX and boats) that I actually keep a set of each type (3/4 wire) on the shelf. My guess is the are drawing ( a little) too much current thru the reed switch and melting it. A gauge reset can also be triggered by low voltage ( drops so fast the 12v alarm won't have time to go off)..you've seen it trying to start skis with marginal batteries. Check charging system voltage while running at speed..you said when you nailed it and let off it would die..maybe a regulator issue. That model is infamous for an overworked electrical system. I'd be checking the fuses..heck..replace em all! a hairline break in a fuse could cost you hundreds in lost time ( not to mention the aggravation!) and how is your battery?

hmm learn sumthin new daily around here...I would have bet that seascan had rfi support..looks like a bad bet..like 00 on a roulette wheel. I can see why you are in a bit of a pickle. you can't talk one of your ski buddies into an analyzer?..after all they have likely been gloming off of yours for a while

Yeah for something that cost 2500 you would think rfi would be supported. I can’t even make keys for them. Anything newer is no problem. I only have one key. I found it strange the gauges would just go blank when it would cut out. Don’t have to pull the dess key, just rehit the start button and it starts right back up. I have 2001 sitting here too that I can strip some parts off, maybe I can try changing the post??? Don’t really have another key option at this point. Battery is good and strong but never really checked voltage when running to verify it was charging.

+1
    if you can change the post out, by all means do that. I can make new keys for an rfi..matter of fact if you pay the postage on your mpem both ways I'll do it for you. I have an rfi too ( rotary valve gear sheared..so it's a yard queen now) pm me for details when you need an extra key. you want to check for overcharging..that could trip an mpem shutdown if it gets really high even for an instant.

Well, I put in another mpem and problem gone. the connections were very clean but I did notice some corrosion coming out of the box when I removed it. Never opened the box so maybe the corrosion inside caused a little too much resistance and would cut it off when throttled down. Maybe it can be cleaned up but I have not even looked at it to see.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason217 View Post
    Well, I put in another mpem and problem gone. the connections were very clean but I did notice some corrosion coming out of the box when I removed it. Never opened the box so maybe the corrosion inside caused a little too much resistance and would cut it off when throttled down. Maybe it can be cleaned up but I have not even looked at it to see.
    having a spare mpem for an RFi is almost like having a spare mounted on your trailer...good to have..especially when you have a chance to use it! Pleased that the bad connection was found and you're out having a time.

Thread Information