Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New guy

New guy

I guess I'll start by introducing myself. Name is Morris I reside in north Florida and own a 1993 Polaris sl 650. I bought it about 6 months ago not running. I have since then replaced the pump and nozzle, cleaned the carbs but not rebuild them, replace fuel filter and remove the auto cock. The compression is 145 psi on all 3 cylinders and runs strong. I have read all the discussions about replacing the fuel pump to a triple outlet and running new fuel lines. And the discussion on replacing the fuel cut off(peatcock). Presently the only thing wrong with this ski is the fuel cut off it will on syphon fuel when switched to the reserve position. Could this be related to fuel cut off or is it a possibility the shorter hose in the fuel tank fell off. I am weary of removing the fuel tank and pickup since it runs great and flows fuel just fine on reserve. If its not broke dont fix it my grandfather has always said. I would greatly appreciate any advice or know how on this situation. I plan to keep taking the ski to the lake and riding the rest of the summer. This winter I will perform all upgrades needed to bring this ski up to GreenHulk standards. Thank you

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

This is not one of the "If it aint broke" situations. REPLACE THE PUMP! So many burn up the motor. Have you checked your piston wash? These machines perform their best right before they fail (due to the lean fuel condition).

The problem you are describing is most likely a result of the fuel hose inside the tank failing. They get brittle and crack. Take out the fuel pickup assembly (easy) and replace the hoses.

Let us know if we can help.

-Brad

It is not running lean, every time I ride I pull the plugs and there are black. I will change the fuel pump to the triple, when I pull the pump in the tank can I reuse the gasket(it looks like a foam type).

+1
    Don't know if it is the same as the 94's, but if it is, Ive reused it.

Plugs are not a good indicator in my book. My SLH runs wicked lean but you would never know from the plugs. Look up "piston wash". Only decent way to know if you are running lean.

Either way, $30 for a brand new high output fuel pump is way cheaper than a piston replacement.

I took of the fuel tank and sending unit I don't think it is what comes stock. No fuel lines just one solid unit

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I took of the fuel tank and sending unit I don't think it is what comes stock. No fuel lines just one solid unit

Interesting. Guess you may have to wait for someone better acquainted with the 92-93 units. Diagram shows it to be 1/4" flex lines. Sorry I could not be of more help.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk Mmorris.

I saw your other post and that fuel sender is not stock for that machine.

I suggest you do the recommended fuel system upgrades soon, just because the previous owner did something that seems really weird. Who knows what else has been done?????

Thank you. If you don't mind can you post the link for the fuel system upgrade I can't seem to find it. I have read all the tips, upgrades, and what you need to know about the 1992-1993 Fuji blue motors but nothing about how a upgraded fuel system should look. And what will I need to replace the sending unit I do have with a stock system for the fuel tank. I'm sure all of this has been talked about before, so I'm not meaning dig up old bones. I really appreciate any and all advice I can get. This is my first ski and so far it hasn't given me any problems, and I'm wanting to keep it like that. Thank you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information