Thread: Sat for 2 years

Sat for 2 years

My 2001 GP1200R sat for 2 years. I did winterize it but am wondering what I should do before getting it out. I know to drain the gas but what else should I do? I just had the carbs rebuilt before it went up. I did have an issue though...It would run fine then just die. Wait a bit and it would start up but never really feel like it was getting all of its power. I was thinking the kill switch? .The engine mods are an IR holeshot kit, freeflow exhaust, dplate w/cat temp,and flame arrestors. Thanks for the help everyone.

complete fuel system inspection including carbs to start, then all hoses and wireing, service the oil injection as well.

No oil injection it is pre mix now.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Was there ANY fuel left in the carbs? If so I'd be tearing them down again to rebuild...run them through an ultrasonic cleaner if you can - they'll likely be full of varnish.

If the carbs were 100% dry, then I'd get all the old gas out of the tank and refill with fresh..don't add fresh on top of old thinking it will somehow "dillute" the bad fuel - you'll just cause yourself grief.. Remember to flush some of the new fuel through the fuel lines to get old fuel out of the filter, etc.

Replace battery - chances are it's no good after 2 years unless it was kept on a tender - even if it seems to takes a charge chances are it'll be no more than a surface charge and will fail you on the lake the first time it takes more than a few seconds of cranking to start.

Absolutely agree with Oshawa...

If the carbs were wet, then pull them apart for a rebuild. No brainer whatsoever. Even good gas goes bad after that long, taking the gaskets & such with it... Blow through everything. Make sure there's nothing hiding in the tiny passages. Even then, be easy on it for a half hour. Let the fresh gas and heat of running open everything up...

And, I've almost never had a battery last longer than 2 years. It may be surf riding, it may be bad luck, but never, ever... A fresh battery is almost certainly a good idea.

Thread Information