Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 gp 1200 starting and idle issues

so my family has had this ski for a while. we keep it in top condition and dont abuse it. but i thnk one of my cousins may have messed it up .I came to run it one day and could not get it started. so i gave it some time charged the battery checked the fuel and the like. and after a while i got it to start. but after i got it inot the water it would cut off while i was ideling. i was able to give it some gas to keep it going and get it back in, but now it wont start at all for me. so im wondering what the issue is. it seems that it could be an issue with the carbs or the starter but im mildly clueless right now. and i would like to be able to have it for use for july 4. any help would be appreciated. thanks

+1
    If the starter was bad, the engine won't spin when you hit the start button. Is that the case or does it crank, crank, crank but just won't start running?
    If it cranks ok but won't start then you either don't have gas coming out of the carbs, no spark at the plugs, or very low compression. You can run a quick test by squirting a little gas/oil premix down each carb and see if it runs. If it does, that tells you the spark is probably ok and its a carb/fuel issue.

it cranks and cranks without starting. some times i could actually get it if i was patient but then after i could never get it. if its a carb issue i might just get a couple kits and have me and my grandfather fix it up . hes good with car engines and the like. but i dont know how he is with a tripple carb .

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    The GP1200 has a rough idle to begin with and unless you have your idle setscrew cranked up, it's not uncommon for it to stall at low speed. The lack of reverse means that many owners have the idle set rediculously low to make slow-speed maneuvering/docking easier. I have my idle set really low for this exact reason, as otherwise you turn into a "point it at the dock, kill the engine, and hope and pray" missile.

Are you sure it's not just flooded or something? After a few stall cycles it can get really loaded up. Couple that with old spark plugs and, sure, you could end up not able to restart.

How old is the fuel? When were the carbs last cleaned/rebuilt? How many hours does it have on it this year before this problem started?

That said, something more serious could have gone wrong. The defacto standard on where to start is a compression test. We're all taking wild guesses and speculating here without some diagnostics on your behalf moving forward.

the fuel is new the carbs and the like were worked on some years back. id have to check to see how many. we put new plugs in often. it was working all of last summer before this happened. i was planning to get to working on it last winter but didnt have time. honestly im not an genius when it comes to engines and the like. but i can usualy sit down and look into it and get it going, so your guesses are about as good as mine right now.

+1
    I'd do a compression check to begin with and report back to us. All the diagnoistics on the world relating to the carbs, fuel system, ignition etc etc etc will be worthless if you find out that you've got a cooked cylinder or something after the fact. A compression test is where you really need to start, and the tester is easily available for the $20 range.

where would i get one? because id much rather find out now than buy three kits at fifty bucks a pop...-.-

+1
    are you getting spark at the plugs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by i2quick View Post
    where would i get one? because id much rather find out now than buy three kits at fifty bucks a pop...-.-
    Not sure where you are located since your profile is pretty sparse, but the most common store (assuming you're in the USA) where you can pickup a cheap compression tester is Harbor Freight I've heard. Any decent autoparts store should sell them, but Harbor Freight is likely to be the cheapest.

okay well ill check into that to see if i can get one quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information