Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Now What? 2002 Virage TXI...

Well looking for some advice...

2002 Virage TXi with 80 Hours now, has been running well… In fact it ran great a few weeks ago.

I noticed my throttle cable was broke at the threaded part where it connects to the throttle so I just replaced the cable. All went well with the replacement except now it doesn't run.. Turns over but no fire… I don't think the EMM even wakes up when hitting start/stop button… I dont know if when i pulled the cable out to run the new one if I jogged some connection?

Here is what i've done or checked thus far...

New battery in 2010 - Emm shows 12.3 volts resting - goes down to 10.? when cranking

New NGK plugs

Have normal compression

Fuel pump was replaced in 2010 - new

any thoughts? TPS is what i have not changed… Could messing with the throttle screw with TPS?

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, the TPS is on the other end of the same throttle shaft that the throttle cable connects to. Easy test is to disconnect the TPS connecter. Engine should start and idle but will not respond to throttle.

Make sure the throttle cable is properly adjusted for slack and is allowing the throttle plates to fully close.

Make sure the lanyard is in place.

Check the CPS sensor cable for damage or loose plug. Check all electrical connectors for looseness.

Measure battery voltage with multi meter while cranking. Voltage under 11.0 suggests battery is getting weak. 2010 means battery has seen two summers and winters, so not so new now. Especially if not an AGM battery.

Well I disconnected the TPS and no difference

The throttle cable has no slack in it so I'm pretty sure that isnt the problem

The EMM does wake up after is sits like it should so that is good…

I tested the battery and resting the volts are 12.25-12.45, but while cranking it dropped to below the 10.6 to 10.39-10.49… I have an odyssey battery in it and was new in spring of 2010, puled each fall and stored in basement. And a battery tender on dring the un used months… Does the voltage seem to low to supply the correct amount of spark needed to fire?

I have checked al the connectors and non seep loose that i have found thus far…

The CPS is connected, checked the sensor, no shavings or other signs of issues that i can see…

I put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and it did not show signs of pressure, so I'm going to force the fuel pump to check pressure… I think gauge might be crap so I think l'll get a new one and double check.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

correction not emm, mfd wakes up...

where can I find the 15 amp breaker for the fuel pump so I can check that? Anyone?

+1
    The throttle cable is supposed to have SOME slack. I think the specification is 0.060" slack at the thumb lever, but I have a tad less on my own.

Make sure you have not mis-connected the new throttle cable at the throttle body. If the throttle shaft is being held wide open the engine may not start.

Anything under 11.0 volts whie cranking is not at all impressive. Your battery seems rather weak, Odyssey or otherwise. Perhaps your battery tender is not AGM compatible or is not working properly.

On the 2002 Virage TXi I think the circuit breaker location is the two clear plastic domes on the small metal housing right next to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The throttle cable is supposed to have SOME slack. I think the specification is 0.060" slack at the thumb lever, but I have a tad less on my own.

Make sure you have not mis-connected the new throttle cable at the throttle body. If the throttle shaft is being held wide open the engine may not start.

Anything under 11.0 volts whie cranking is not at all impressive. Your battery seems rather weak, Odyssey or otherwise. Perhaps your battery tender is not AGM compatible or is not working properly.

On the 2002 Virage TXi I think the circuit breaker location is the two clear plastic domes on the small metal housing right next to the battery.
    The throttle cable seems to be installed with the correct gap..

I changes the battery and that did not create a spark…

The circuit breaker is not tripped.

The problem I'm having is getting the fuel pump connector off so I can ground the brown wire to see if the pump works and is giving me the right pressure… Any tips for grounding the brown wire? Should I just pierce it doen the line to see if works or at the connector?

Also… Anything else to check… I worried it might be the emm…

Thanks

also, is there a way to overide the lanyard switch to see if that is the issue?

+1
    There is a small tab (red?) that must slide sideways before the fuel pump connector can be unplugged.

hy guys, well I have checked the following to check the specs…

As stated above, New battery well above when cranking

New NGK Plugs

Checked the fuel pump while grounding the brown wire, had pressure above 25 and then spiked when the returned hose was clamped… Which is good since that is a complete new fuel pump in 2010..

I check the red/white wire during cranking and was getting 20v, no fire

Tried unplugging the TPS - no fire

Check the CPS - no signs of wear or debris…

=============================

So my questions is what i should check now?

The MFD does wake up like it should and does not display any error messges

While cranking, the fuel pressure does not move - like above it works by grounding the brown wire

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information