Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Need help please !

I have a 1997 Polaris sltx 1050 which I just recently bought. A few days after I bought I took it out on the water and it ran great for a while then it went into limp mode because of a broken fuel gauge. Thanks to some very helpful threads on here I quickly found out it was just a bad float. I ordered the part and replaced it and it sure enough fixed the fuel gauge problem.

So after that I took back out on the water and it fired right up for about 5 minutes and it died. After a few tries I couldn't get it to start so I went back home. I soon realized I accidentally hooked up two of the hoses backwards on the fuel sender. As soon as I got that little problem fixed it fired right up with no problem.

I took it back out on the water and it fired right up then died again. Now it won't start at all.

I read on another thread that a way to test the fuel sending unit was to unplug the hose from the middle carb and try to turn it on, if good it should shoot out fuel from the hose. Well I did that and no fuel came out. Does that mean that my fuel pump is dead?

Is there any fuses that I should check? I need help please.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Is there enough fuel in the tank?

Recheck the fuel sender hose connections. Each nipple has a specific purpose and there are tiny markings on the sender.

Also check every hose connection in the fuel system.

The fuel pumps are located inside the front and rear carburetors. They are powered by separate hose connections to pulse fittings on the lower crankcase front and rear cylinders. Check that all these hoses are correct.

The tank is full and I can't see the markings on the fuel sender all the hoses seem to be correct and I think they should be because I never touched those. I just took the hoses off the fuel sender. What do those marking look like?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_1050 View Post
    The tank is full and I can't see the markings on the fuel sender all the hoses seem to be correct and I think they should be because I never touched those. I just took the hoses off the fuel sender. What do those marking look like?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1827655

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ... The fuel sender has abbreviations stamped on it telling you what each fitting is.

MAN = main

RES = reserve

RET = return

VEN = vent

Or if you really wanted to figure it out, lift it out of the tank and figure out which fitting does what.
    On models with no Reserve position on the Fuel Selector knob, there is no 'Main' fitting on the fuel sender and instead the main fuel hose connects to the nipple marked RES.

Something is not working with your fuel system. You just need to work through how it works and trace the fuel flow.

Well I found the markings and put everything where it is supposed to be. I checked all my fuel lines and everything seems ok. How do I know if my fuel sender is bad? I know nothing about this stuff.

+1
    Are you running a primer system or choke? I would bypass the fuel selector altogether (eliminates it as a problem) to start with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_1050 View Post
    Well I found the markings and put everything where it is supposed to be. I checked all my fuel lines and everything seems ok. How do I know if my fuel sender is bad? I know nothing about this stuff.
    There really isn't anything that can go wrong with the sender's internal aluminum fuel feed tubes, as long as you did not pull the aluminum section away from the top section. No need to do that to change the float, since the bottom comes off easily.

Urugol- Choke and i have the fuel selector and fuel water seperator bypassed already.

K447- yeah I didn't mess with aluminum or anything like that. Could it possibly my spark plugs? How can I check if they spark

Doubt its your spark plugs unless all three went bad at once, which wont happen. Its something else, but if the plugs are old change them anyway.

nick072010- Yeah you have a point . The plugs are brand new so maybe that's not it. I'm just really confused because it was running great aside from the "limp mode" and then I replaced the float and now it won't start. :/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information