Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Unhappy 1994 Polaris SL 750

    Like everyone else on here we just bought a Polaris SL 750 from an auction. It was running and compression was tested and was all good.

    Got it home and it didn't stay running. Charged the battery. Then we checked spark plugs and fuel lines. Then we got it running.

    Impellor was not turning so we took the whole back end off and it was caked and packed with hard mud rocks. Cleaned all that gunk out of there and took it to the lake to test it.

    It started like a champ right a way and stayed running on the water for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the MFD started reading HOT so what should we do now?


  2. #2
    David Drkvampire2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Edgerton, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    2,857
    +1
    30
    Welcome to the Hulk,

    on a ski of that age you want to take a look at the fuel system, does it have the original fuel lines? if so replace them, it will also need a triple outlet fuel pump as well as the carbs gone threw and rebuilt. I suggest John Zigler for all of these parts. this is BEFORE you ride the ski, or you risk a piston meltdown. the HOT on the MFD is indicating that the overheat sensor has been triped. and youre engine is over heating. sounds like there could be a blockage in the cooling system, you said there was rocks and grime? possibly sucked into the inlet tube and is blocking cooling from getting to the engine, im sure someone will chime in with more information.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Engine was running and Impeller was not turning? That means the drive splines must have striped.

    Normally the impeller is directly driven by the engine. The engine should not be able to turn at all if the impeller is not free to turn. Since it did that means something in the drive line has been damaged.

    Check the drive splines at both ends of drive shaft and what the shaft ends fit into. Something is damaged.

    Now, before you do anymore testing or riding, please click on my signature links and read about required maintenance and common upgrades to avoid further engine damage or other problems.

  4. #4
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Engine was running and Impeller was not turning? That means the drive splines must have striped.

    Normally the impeller is directly driven by the engine. The engine should not be able to turn at all if the impeller is not free to turn. Since it did that means something in the drive line has been damaged.
    Without the impeller turning, the engine will not receive any cooling water.......

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Now, before you do anymore testing or riding, please click on my signature links and read about required maintenance and common upgrades to avoid further engine damage or other problems.
    +1

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Without the impeller turning, the engine will not receive any cooling water.......

    +1
    my husband is a mechanic and he checked a plug on the motor on the side it was a big bolt was getting water but we think maybe something has been sucked into the lines so were going to take a look at that next We are planning on going thru the carbs as well. Read the thread ya"ll suggested. Thx! pics up soon!

    When he took off back end he said it wasnt stripped like we thought but there is some noise coming from the back end thinking we need to replace bearings of some sort he said

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by pkselect View Post
    my husband is a mechanic and he checked a plug on the motor on the side it was a big bolt was getting water but we think maybe something has been sucked into the lines so were going to take a look at that next We are planning on going thru the carbs as well. Read the thread ya"ll suggested. Thx! pics up soon!

    When he took off back end he said it wasnt stripped like we thought but there is some noise coming from the back end thinking we need to replace bearings of some sort he said
    Click here

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. yet another 1994 Polaris SL 750 jet ski project
    By Artiom in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
  2. 1994 Polaris SL 750 Spark Problem
    By yeaj in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 12:05 AM
  3. 1994 Polaris SL 750 Hole in Piston
    By stormdlp in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
  4. 1994 Polaris Sl 750
    By steve3748 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 04:45 AM
  5. 1994 Polaris SL 750 problem
    By Playtime in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •