Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XL vs XLT

XL vs XLT

I'm looking to possibly pick up a couch this summer for events and bringing friends out to wakeboard. I was originally hoping to buy a boat, but that's not going to happen this year.

I could care less about how well a couch jumps surf, how playful it is, etc. I have stand ups for that. I'm looking for a smooth cruiser with lots of storage, will easily tow a wakeboarder, and has a good range. I'd like to keep it around $3500 so that limits me mostly to the XL1200 and possibly a 2001 XLT1200. I like the looks of the xlt a lot more, but I've already owned a pv engine with a cat con and don't feel like dealing with another (although I didn't have any bad experiences with my GPR - i had pv clips/ couplers and a D plate - i don't feel like wondering in the back of my head all the time if something will go wrong).

I guess I'm mainly wanting to know the main differences between the two. Are they the same hulls? Roughly the same amount of storage? If i remember correctly, the 1200 non pv engine has pretty good acceleration compared to the stock 1200pv, right? Been a while since I've been on a GP1200. The advantage to the 1200pv engine would be I'm very comfortable with all the mods that can be done to it and would probably slap on a jet works mod. I'm not too familiar with mods for the non pv engine... if I ever wanted to do any.

Is the 1200 non pv any better on gas than the pv engine? Does anyone know the gph for both of these at wot? I think the 1200pv was around 17gph at wot.

Thanks in advance for the random questions.

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Alright dude, for the price range you're looking for, dafinately you can't go over an XL or '01 XLT. However a good '01 XLT can run u in the upper $4k. If u want something really dependable, I suggest u look for a 2000 XL with low hours & in goos conditions. It should be right on your price range & yes, they are the same identical hull wiht some minor changes for top end & such. Hey, if u really like the 01 so much better (like me) Purchase a 2000 & then look for someone getting rid of the plastics from an 01-05 & do the conversion. There's a buddy of mine in the process of doing that in a month or so. Check out this thread, it can help u with your needs. XL/XLT is a great ski, great hull too.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17389

Jim can help u alot when it comes to these hulls. He's the XL/XLT Wizard. He has 2 XLT's pushing high 70mph on the GPS.

Good luck man.

NOTE: Hey, here on Greenhulk.com, we don't call these hulls couches, we just call them fast ass 3 seaters That's a PWC "YESTER-day".com term. hehe

Alex (PWC Maniac)
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 01-25-2007 at 01:32 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Skysurfer !!!

+1
    Welcome

We dont call them couches here.

FS- lighten up! a couch is a big ol 3 seater! it's not intended to insult.

wfo- thanks

pwc- thanks a lot for the info. i'm definitely not lookin to mod for speed though... if i even do any mods. i already played that game with my gpr a few years ago. i just want something with decent power stock with the possibility to mod just for hole shot (if i get the bug... which i will because i've never left any of my skis stock).

i really like the idea of just buying the plastics from an 01 and slapping them on an XL. i can get oem yam parts at dealer cost too.

does anyone know how the 1200 non pv compares to the 1200pv in regards to gph?
    Last edited by skysurfer2010; 01-25-2007 at 02:07 PM.

+1
    135hp versus 155hp; never ridden the XL, though. waveeater clips for the powervalves are cheap, so don't be afraid of a good deal on a XLL/XLT.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    135hp versus 155hp; never ridden the XL, though. waveeater clips for the powervalves are cheap, so don't be afraid of a good deal on a XLL/XLT.

and easy to install!

so if a 3 seater is a couch a gpr must be a nice recliner!! and a standup is what? one of those folding chairs you take camping?? Just having fun I love all three options!

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    A stand up is more like a scooter. Fun, small, enjoyable but u can't get passed 30mph unless u wanna die! I own what they like to call a couch now, I used to own 2 98 YAMAHA GP party chairs, before that, I owned a 94 SeaDoo Stool.

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    and easy to install!

so if a 3 seater is a couch a gpr must be a nice recliner!! and a standup is what? one of those folding chairs you take camping?? Just having fun I love all three options!

+1
    standups are a lot of fun ( I have owned 4 ) usually people that dont like them cant ride em!

also a modded 750, 800sxr or octane are CRAZY fast! And yes they can hurt you!

+1
    Just to clear things up, the slang for a stand up is a urinal. You stand there and are holding a pole. I used to own one and they are a LOT of fun. But with a screwed up knee it hurt more than the fun was worth. I'm not slammin stand ups, just wanted to let everyone know what the slang is.

The PV motor is a good way to go as long as wave-eaters and d-plate are installed. VERY reliable.
    Last edited by jeffsntx; 01-25-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information