Sea Doo lunges after half tank of fuel

I have a 1996 Sea Doo SPX and it is a blast to ride. Although it's an older machine it holds its own against the big boys of today and often is the most ridden machine on the water. Starting the end of last year and continued into this year the machine starts to lunge after about a half a tank of gas is burned. It starts fine, takes off with power but when you have it at top speed after you burn half the fuel the RPM will drop for a second and then go back to top speed and then drop again and it continues to do this. If you stop and refuel so the tank is full the problem goes away until about half tank again. Any ideas? This one confuses me......

Two things come to mind - I suspect a weak fuel pump.. But, it might even be Fuel Tank Venting..

Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    Two things come to mind - I suspect a weak fuel pump.. But, it might even be Fuel Tank Venting..
    What about it possibly sucking air somewhere in the tank? not sure how the pick up works in these machine/

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Man View Post
    What about it possibly sucking air somewhere in the tank? not sure how the pick up works in these machine/
    It would have to be a cracked baffle housing - and it will most likely effect one or the other (on or reserve)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I gave up on problem solving it myself and took it into the shop. The issue was with the carbs. They both had water in them that caused the floats to stick and so the fuel supply was being interrupted. Cleaned the carbs good and the machine is up and running like new.

That is the story they told you anyway... But it is fixed and your happy, so it does not matter..

Thread Information