Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MSX 140; Tried this and that, Now I'm desperate, Please Help

My 2003 MSX 140 runs for about 30 minutes then stalls. It will restart and run at low idle long enough to get it back to the dock. I changed plugs an put in new fuel. It did the same thing. It was suggested that I get a new TPS, I did that and installed it on Saturday. Back to the lake, ran 21 minutes stalled out. No warning lights, does not seem hot, water is running through the EMM. It does restart but sometimes backfires thru the exhaust.

I took the seat off and started it, It ran fine, fast and furious, back to the dock and thought perhaps a exhaust leak or a vapor lock. I restarted it but then it would not throttle up without choking out the engine. It seems that at the initial throttle up it chokes the engine. If it gets past that point it runs OK for awhile. At the first start of the day it took off from dock and I could detect a miss or a backfire until it got up and running then it smoothed out, until shutting down. It runs great on trailer but if throttle it up to a higher PPM it will sometimes stall when back to about 1450 RPM. by the way at idle it reads between 1400 and 1450.

Is there a sensor that controls the air and fuel mixture. It just seems that it is getting too much or not enough of something. Guy I bought it from swears there was never a problem. Said he only ran it 2 times in last 3 years. It seems that the throttle causes a stall if it throttles up slow, right at the first bit of pressure.

I know there are probably 100 things that it could be but the knowledge on here is all I have left. Man Im at the end of the line with this. I need help.
    Last edited by K447; 05-31-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Thread title

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Backfire is a problem. TPS should not cause backfire, but a damaged EMM sure can.

Check fuel pressure when it dies. Somehow I don't think the fuel pump is the problem, but it is an easy check. Should be over 20PSI at all times and stable while engine is running.

1450 idle is too high. Make sure the throttle cable has the correct slack at idle. The EMM electronically controls idle when it detects the TPS signal to be in idle position. Idle RPM should be right around 1150 RPM in or out of the water.

If cable slack is correct and TPS is correctly installed then that also leads back to the EMM having a problem.

Stalling when you touch the throttle, despite a new TPS, also suggests EMM troubles.

Do check the TPS connector pins for corrosion or breaks, but I suspect it is not the cause.

My guess is that the EMM is in need of repair.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Backfire is a problem. TPS should not cause backfire, but a damaged EMM sure can.

Check fuel pressure when it dies. Somehow I don't think the fuel pump is the problem, but it is an easy check. Should be over 20PSI at all times and stable while engine is running.

1450 idle is too high. Make sure the throttle cable has the correct slack at idle. The EMM electronically controls idle when it detects the TPS signal to be in idle position. Idle RPM should be right around 1150 RPM in or out of the water.

If cable slack is correct and TPS is correctly installed then that also leads back to the EMM having a problem.

Stalling when you touch the throttle, despite a new TPS, also suggests EMM troubles.

Do check the TPS connector pins for corrosion or breaks, but I suspect it is not the cause.

I was really hoping that it would not be the EMM as I hear it is very expensive. Can they be repaired and if so where, what should I be looking for, and are they hard to get.

i got the TPS at partspitstop.com. they dont show any availiable.

+1
    DFI Technologies is the only EMM repair service I know of.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

if all this checks out pull the crank sensor out and make sure there are no marks or debris on it.i f there is pull the engine to check flywheel. i had the same symtoms and it was my flywheel coming apart

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    Last year I was looking for some info on a problem with my MSX-140 (60 hrs). It would run for 30 to 40 minutes and shut down. I took the advice here and bought a new TPS, new plugs, changed fuel, and had the EMM rebuilt ($600) at the end of summer. Got the Emm back too late to try last year.

Long story short, put it in water yesterday and it ran great, like a new machine, awesome for about 1 hour. Please does anybody have any ideas on what is causing this problem.. I am at the end of my line.

So Freeman if you are mechanically inclined and want great looking ski with a lot less hours but only runs for an hour at a time you can have this for two grand

Seriously is there anybody out there that can help.There are no dealers in my area.
    Well, perhaps we can help you sort it out.

Do you want to update one of your old threads with all the details of what you had done and where you are currently, and we can go from there? Makes it easier to scan back and see the history.

Is there one of those sensors in an MSx 140?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    Is there one of those sensors in an MSx 140?
    Yes, all Ficht engines have the same temp sensor on the exhaust.

Rather than hopping around in other threads, update your own thread so we can keep all the info in one place, as regards your machine.
    Last edited by K447; 05-31-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Bought ski used. (60 hrs) hadn't been in water for year. Seller tells me he NEVER had a problem with the ski.

Last year Took it to the lake, put it in the water and it ran for about half an hour. Took it home, drained old gas, changed plugs, had pressures checked put back in water same thing, ran and quit.

Bought a new TPS as suggested on this forum, back to lake same problem. It would run great for about half hour shut down. Would try to start right away and it would just crank, if it did start it would limp back to dock at low RPM"s if I tried to throttle up it would stall. If I let it sit at dock for about an hour it would start right up and run well for about 20 minutes.

It was suggested I get the EMM checked. I sent to DFI Technologies and they checked and repaired it. ($600). Yesterday I put it in the water expecting all my problems to be over. Ran it for about 25 minutes and pulled up to the dock, when I tried to start it again it would not start.I thought perhaps a vapor lock. Waited about an hour , it started right up. I ran it pretty hard for about an hour, it was great. As I was getting ready to leave I was cruising down the lake at about 40mpt it spit and a little backfire and shut down again. It would not start.

I put it on the trailer, I know if I go there today it will run but I dont know for how long. This is so frustrating!

+1
    Posts have been collected into this thread for ease of review and reply.

We can work though this with you. The are only so many possible causes.

When it gives trouble, do you see any warning messages on the display?

Does the engine run smoothly, but not respond to throttle? What exactly is happening when the problem(s) occur?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information