2000 XP 951 Advice

Just finished rebuilding my 951, it was constantly breaking exhaust bolts off........finally figure out why! Previous "rebuilder" didn't align the balance shaft when it was assembled!! Anyways its back together, crank checked, new bore, pistons rings etc.......I packed the balancer shaft bearings with Isoflex grease, fresh oil in gearcase, impeller/wear ring checked, pump oil changed etc........its going to be driven mostly by my 14 year old daughter and just wondering what I can do to extend the longevity of this engine.........obviously a 14 year old is going to have it upside down lots..........it has been drilled into her which way to roll it back over.........do these doo's being upside down have any issues as long as they are rolled the proper direction? The doo is "slipped" for the 3 months a year it is used if that matters.....
    Thanks for any advice........

+1
    IMO a 14 year old girl or even a boy will be hard pressed to get an xpl turned back over.
    Can you try to suggest to her if you are going to fall off dont hang on to the ski just let it go so it remains upright.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    IMO a 14 year old girl or even a boy will be hard pressed to get an xpl turned back over.
    Can you try to suggest to her if you are going to fall off dont hang on to the ski just let it go so it remains upright.
    X2

Oh no, she's flipped it multiple times already, she has NO problem flipping it back over, she's pretty ripped.......just wondering if there is anything to watch for as its been upside down a few times now lol!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crazeejames View Post
    Oh no, she's flipped it multiple times already, she has NO problem flipping it back over, she's pretty ripped.......just wondering if there is anything to watch for as its been upside down a few times now lol!
    Maybe I was just a wimpy at 14
    If it does happen to get water down the carbs dont try and start it because water doesn't compress like air and you can damage crank seals.
    Pull the plugs and crank it over with the plug leads grounded and plenty of CRC spray or lanox. Get it going asap and once all good keep it running on the water for at least 30 minutes until you get all the moisture out from between the crank bearing races.Keeping it going for 30 minutes as heat will dry it out.
    Check the front electrical box for moisture and spray some CRC to stop any rust forming.
    We regularly flip these skis in surf as long as you do these things it should be all ok

+1
    Fill the balance shaft cavity with oil! There is an allen plug on the side.

I did fill the balance shaft cavity with synthetic outboard gear oil............just been reading about all the issues with the 951's and wondering if there are any tips to make it more reliable...........hope its alright, I don't get on it much anymore, so it should last with out me abusing it........

+1
    The 951 is agreat engine. Just up your pilot jets to 80s and leave the stock air box.. Your midrange will improve and get rid of the 3/4 lean spot.

Thread Information