Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best bang for the bucks mods for 2012 VXR

I’m new to the Hulk and PWCs in general. I have decided on a getting a new 2012 VXR. I have some random questions I need some input… I’m a newbie at modding pwcs, but am really hands on…

1. When I first rode the VXR I noticed that in rougher water, 2-3’ waves (on a lake), it seems to come un hooked. All the research I’ve done leads me to think I need to get a Riva SS intake grate. Will the SS intake grate help with keeping the waverunner hooked up?
    2. Is it worth it to get a pump seal kit for the Riva SS grate? And what will the pump seal kit do or help prevent?
    3. What other simple mods can I do to increase the hole shot and acceleration? I’m not really concerned about gaining top speed, 65-67mph is fast enough for me. Anti-cavitation cone?

Any other suggestions or opinions appreciated?

Gateway Tone

+1
    Welcome to the forum and the ski. Great platform you got, I think. I just bought a 2012 VXS a month back or so.

Before we talk mods, what are your riding conditions like?

No matter where you ride, do the intake manifold upgrade---- it removes the restrictive "ribbon" and replaces it with an aluminum insert which allows up to 40% more airflow into the engine.

It noticably improves throttle response and gives you a little more top speed.

Both Riva and R&D make the replacement inserts---IMO, the R&D one is a better design.

+1
    +1 on the R&D

+1
    You can pretty much browse thru the last couple pages of 4 strokes and get all the VXR goodness your heart desires...

Check out the Greenhulk, Acradabra, 1200stx builds and see the basics of what the mods will do.. It is a fine machine in stock form. As for the riva grate.. Feedback ia starting to come in and Jarrett is going to test on a stocker for us purdy quik.

Allll right giggity

+1
    What's the diff in the Riva and R&D intake piece?

Welcome to the forum and the ski. Great platform you got, I think. I just bought a 2012 VXS a month back or so.

Before we talk mods, what are your riding conditions like?

I ride in a lake. Most of the time its light chop. At times though it have have 3-4' waves from other ridiculously big boats, one right after another. The lake is relatively skinny and long which is why a bunch of big boats can create some big waves, at least for a lake...

Just realized you can "reply with quote".

+1
    I ride in the similar conditions and these are mods I am going for:

Air intake + Ribbon delete = 160 RPM and 2 MPH and a good amount more accel
    Intake grate - to improve the hookup of ski. I am trying the Riva

After that I think I am going to do the V-Tech reflash which seems to provide another 150 RPM by itself, but gives you the opportunity to run a smaller pitched prop to higher RPMs which ultimately means more speed and a good deal more acceleration. I'm looking at the skat prop right now, still determining pitch.

After that I *might* try the Jim ride plate mod. It's supposedly $250 for 1 MPH. I'll do all the rest of the mods first, then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
    No matter where you ride, do the intake manifold upgrade---- it removes the restrictive "ribbon" and replaces it with an aluminum insert which allows up to 40% more airflow into the engine.

It noticably improves throttle response and gives you a little more top speed.

Both Riva and R&D make the replacement inserts---IMO, the R&D one is a better design.
    Is this a fairly easy install? Where can I get some instructions to decide if I can do this myself or need to have it done?

+1
    Here's a link to Riva's instruction from their site. R&D's install would be essentially identical. Super easy to do.

http://www.rivaracing.com/instructions/ry12055_imuk.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information