04 GTX SC troubles have me stumped

Ok guys I'm new to the forum and to owning a pwc. I have owned dirtbikes, four-wheelers etc, for over 20 years and always wrenched on them myself but am stumped on this one. Hoping it could just be the gauge cluster causing the issues but I am not sure. I bought this ski about a month ago. It doesn't have a working gauge cluster in it (if anyone has as working one am interested in buying it) so Idk if that's the root of my problems or not. I replaced the ecm and have the key that is programmed to it.

So here's what it's doing... I discovered I can use any key to start the ski (immediately shut it off since was out of water) I can also start it without having any lanyard attached to the post at all. I don't get any beeps when any lanyard is attached not even one that's programmed to the ecm. I am wondering if since the gauge cluster isn't working (removed the gauge and have power going to it just nothing showing up on the guage) can that be causing my starting without any key issue??? I know the gauge cluster is suppose to communicate with the ecm but I don't think with it not working it would let the engine start? Could be wrong but I would think it wouldn't let it start before it would let it start without a key. I have searched for two weeks online and haven't found any answers.

I have done the following: All fuses are good, tested the Dess post using ohm meter and that is coming back fine, I have tested starting switch and that is coming back fine, I also have replaced the battery but there seems to be a draw on it because it will be dead after a day or two of sitting. I am currently charging the battery back up (out of the ski) and am going to reinstall it without the guage cluster, or start/stop switch, dess post connectors connected and see if the battery gets drained. Am doubting that's the problem with battery getting drained but will see.

Any thoughts or anyone with same issue any help would be greatly appreciated especially before I spend hundreds for a new guage cluster and discover that's not the issue. Thanks.

+1
    is the ski stock? Dose it have the original ECU?

I think with can doo or buds the key security can be turned off?? Allowing any key to work.

Also aftermarket ECU's allow any key to work.

Do you have power going to the gauge only with a key in and for a few seconds after the key is removed?
    If you have power to the gauge it should power up and do something.
    If you have power to it and it doesn't work then its most likely bad.

I have heard of a few people taking them apart and repairing them.

The ski's new to me so I don't know if it is stock.. This isn't the original ECU it was a used one that "is in good working condition". The original (or at least the one that was on the ski when I got it about a month ago was fried it was shorting out and trying to ground through the tops valve which I discovered by sticking my head into the engine compartment and touchin the side of my face against it and discovered it was extremely hot so disconnected battery and replaced the ECU with the current one.

The security being turned off on the ecm through buds would make since especially after what it did today (see below on updated portion)

The gauges are shot on it know that for sure (since I figure the next question would be how do you know gauge is shot?) some genius cut the gauge open (don't ask) part of the reason I got the ski for a good deal.

I will update you on what is currently going on with it. I have been having issue with battery getting drained after a few days of if sitting so I unplugged the gauges thinking maybe they were shorted out and draining the battery. I recharged the battery, put back in the ski and unplugged the connectors going to the start/stop switch, dess post, and the gauges. Went out and checked it this morning and the battery was at 12.27 volts so thinking that may have been the issue with battery getting drained. I then reconnected the start/stop, dess post connectors and hit the start button with no lanyard attached to post and heard few short noises but it didn't try turning over. So I connected the lanyard and it fired up, immediately pulled the lanyard off and it still runs so hit the stop button and it shut off. Then with lanyard still removed hit start button again and it fired back up again?!?!

Thinking maybe dess post is bad???? But at 90 bucks for a new one would like some additional thoughts. I should mention I have done the test in the service manual as far as testing the post for continuity and with ohm meter and everything seems to be checking out?!?!
    I will also mention that I don't get any beeps at all when any lanyard is attached. Not saying that someone didn't try to jump this with a car or booster pack and fried ecu and bunch of other stuff including beeper so it may not all be related to one thing?! If anyone knows how to test the beeper I would be interested in trying to test it.

+1
    are you sure the ECU that you installed is the same as the old one?

+1
    you can test the dress post to make sure its good or bad.

Do you have a service manual? If not I might be a good investment for you!

I was told it was the same as the old ecm. and yes I have a service manual and have tested the dess post and it tested fine. I'm thinking I might have another bad ecm but I don't know I can take it to a dealer and for 75 bucks they will hook it up and tell me what shows up on the buds program. I will probably end up having to take it there as much as I hate to I have few extra keys I can have them program if they figure out the issue since it will already be hooked up.

+1
    let us know what you find out.

Just an update for everyone. Took it to dealer today and said without a gauge cluster in there can't do anything said it won't even run right without gauge in it and that gauge is also part of the ignition system is why it is starting without a lanyard attached. It's all part of Sea doo's infinite wisdom of their theft deterrent system. ecm, gauge cluster, and mpem all have to be happily getting along and programmed through buds. So I am at a standstill till I can find a working used gauge and then it will be back to dealer so everything can be linked through buds. If anyone knows of someone selling a gauge let me know not thrilled with the 6-700 pricetag for a new one.

Thread Information