Just purchased '02 GP1200R- anything I should know? Engine issues? Maintenance?

Hi all,

I just bought an '02 GP1200R with 19 original hours on it. It's completely stock. I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about engine issues etc. Is there anything that I should check out or replace? I was gonna take it to the dealership and get them to give it the 'once over'. I've heard all the stories of the 1200 detonating and I don't want mine to!

Thanks,

Mitch

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blastermitch View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought an '02 GP1200R with 19 original hours on it. It's completely stock. I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about engine issues etc. Is there anything that I should check out or replace? I was gonna take it to the dealership and get them to give it the 'once over'. I've heard all the stories of the 1200 detonating and I don't want mine to!

Thanks,

Mitch
    Hello Mitch, the key problems are oil lines pop out, cat convertor goes bad, and you need to add wave eater clips.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello Mitch, the key problems are oil lines pop out, cat convertor goes bad, and you need to add wave eater clips.
    Hey there! Can you be more specific? How do I fix solve these problems? Thanks!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    (1) go premix or replace the oil lines
    (2) replace the cat convertor with a D plate and chip
    (3) install wave eater clips for the power valves from the forum online store
    (4) do a search on the forum on all of this and you will know how to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    (1) go premix or replace the oil lines
    (2) replace the cat convertor with a D plate and chip
    (3) install wave eater clips for the power valves from the forum online store
    (4) do a search on the forum on all of this and you will know how to do it yourself
    Would I still need the D plate if I purchased this kit with the free flow exhaust?

http://www.rivayamaha.com/pwc_pkgs/ry_rpm_12r_1.asp

Do I need the waveEater clip kit with the couplers, or just the clips?

Thanks!

Filter the gas. The BN-i carbs are a m'fr when it comes to contamination.

If they use Ethanol in the gas where you are, switch to race car gas when you shut down for the off season (or aviation fuel) to avoid letting the ethanol sit in the carbs. Much, much more important than fogging it...

Take off the seat and get a feel for the time cycle of the power valve actuator when you start the ski. It will get slower and slower long before it stops working, and having a feel for it might stop you from chasing other non-existant problems...

If you don't put a D plate on it, get a feel for how hot the pipe is each time after you ride "aggressively"; it normally feels "just warm" to the touch, if it went to m'f'n hot after a dozen rides, you'd know there was a problem...

Thread Information