Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4

    Just purchased '02 GP1200R- anything I should know? Engine issues? Maintenance?

    Hi all,

    I just bought an '02 GP1200R with 19 original hours on it. It's completely stock. I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about engine issues etc. Is there anything that I should check out or replace? I was gonna take it to the dealership and get them to give it the 'once over'. I've heard all the stories of the 1200 detonating and I don't want mine to!

    Thanks,


    Mitch


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by blastermitch View Post
    Hi all,

    I just bought an '02 GP1200R with 19 original hours on it. It's completely stock. I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about engine issues etc. Is there anything that I should check out or replace? I was gonna take it to the dealership and get them to give it the 'once over'. I've heard all the stories of the 1200 detonating and I don't want mine to!

    Thanks,


    Mitch
    Hello Mitch, the key problems are oil lines pop out, cat convertor goes bad, and you need to add wave eater clips.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello Mitch, the key problems are oil lines pop out, cat convertor goes bad, and you need to add wave eater clips.
    Hey there! Can you be more specific? How do I fix solve these problems? Thanks!

  4. #4
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    (1) go premix or replace the oil lines
    (2) replace the cat convertor with a D plate and chip
    (3) install wave eater clips for the power valves from the forum online store
    (4) do a search on the forum on all of this and you will know how to do it yourself

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    (1) go premix or replace the oil lines
    (2) replace the cat convertor with a D plate and chip
    (3) install wave eater clips for the power valves from the forum online store
    (4) do a search on the forum on all of this and you will know how to do it yourself
    Would I still need the D plate if I purchased this kit with the free flow exhaust?

    http://www.rivayamaha.com/pwc_pkgs/ry_rpm_12r_1.asp

    Do I need the waveEater clip kit with the couplers, or just the clips?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Filter the gas. The BN-i carbs are a m'fr when it comes to contamination.

    If they use Ethanol in the gas where you are, switch to race car gas when you shut down for the off season (or aviation fuel) to avoid letting the ethanol sit in the carbs. Much, much more important than fogging it...

    Take off the seat and get a feel for the time cycle of the power valve actuator when you start the ski. It will get slower and slower long before it stops working, and having a feel for it might stop you from chasing other non-existant problems...

    If you don't put a D plate on it, get a feel for how hot the pipe is each time after you ride "aggressively"; it normally feels "just warm" to the touch, if it went to m'f'n hot after a dozen rides, you'd know there was a problem...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1998 XPL anything I should know?
    By nhaase79 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM
  2. Just bought 1996 Kawasaki 750 sts... anything I should know?
    By lts70 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM
  3. just got a gp1200r would like to know some things
    By nunnink23 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
  5. Thinking of getting a 1200 SLX, anything I should know?
    By kmartin173 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •