Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm a noob and proud of it! Just got me 2 Polaris PWC's!

Hi guys and gals!
    I'm noob on the forum, I'm noob to PWC's (never even been on one yet!) and I'm a noob to the 2 stroke world, mostly! I just picked up a couple of project skis off craigslist 2 weeks ago and I am just learning about the PWC world! I've been reading a lot of good stuff on this forum that has been very useful but haven't posted anything yet. So I thought I would introduce myself and more so my skis. Don't ask what I paid for them

First about me:

I'm a noob
    I'm a noob
    I'm a noob
    OK I am a "mechanically inclined" person, I work on all my own stuff and have a nice set of tools in a nice garage/shop. I hate taking stuff to the dealer for several reasons, no offence to the dealers intended so I wont list them. I know how 2 cycles work-the basics, etc. overhauled several automotive engines and do a little diesel performance stuff, too. However i don't typically enjoy mechanicing.
    The reason for me jumping into the pwc world is NOT for racing, sporting, etc. but rather FISHING! So I won't be doing much of the performance stuff, stock is fine for me. And I think I want to eventually upgrade to a 4 stroke ski for that reason.

About the ski(s): (When I bought them)
    #1: '95 Polaris SLT750
    The hull is in fairly good shape, very little scratches, nice seat, but a little sun fading on the bumper trim and handlebar cover, also the nose piece on the bumper trim is broke. Missing step pads. It had a bad motor, needs a top end (missing the heads and cyls). Pump has some wear and small nicks in the leading edges.

#2: '95 Polaris SL750
    It's kinda in bad shape; the seat cover is cracked, several scratches and a few small chunks taken out of the hull, quite a bit of sun fading all over, step pads coming off. It was all taken apart. the pump is in about the same condition as the SLT except the steering housing is cracked. I had a newly overhauled, never ran, motor just setting in it, nothing hooked up or bolted down. It has a new set of reed spacers and a new set of power reeds too, not sure what kind though I could find out. The seller claimed the motor was built by some guy down by lake Havasu that is supposedly the best (Don't know who it was but if you know him let me know).

So here's what I did/am doing:
    Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here. I pulled the motor out of the SLT and then used a steam cleaner (power washer/Hotsy) to clean out the hull. Then I pulled the motor from the SL and put it in the SLT, I want the bigger boat for my purposes. This motor already had a block off plate installed so I'm ditching the oil injection. Might use the oil tank for a second fuel reserve or mount my aux deep cycle battery in its place. Hooked up everything and fired it up. Runs but needs carbs rebuilt. One was pissing fuel so bad it flooded the cyl and was only firing on the 2 (mag and cen). I will be installing the triple port fuel pump and replace fuel lines etc. I'll be running Amsoil HP Marine as my premix.

Here's a few pics. I wish I took some before pics but here's where we're at now:
    The SLT (with rebuilt motor that was sitting in the SL):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0741.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	275536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0740.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	275537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0742.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	275538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0743.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	275539

The motor that came out of the SLT: (notice Mag piston is used, Cen is used and chewed up and PTO has a new piston)

Name:	IMAG0744.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	275540

More to come...

Banned User
    +1
    That hot water pressure washer did wonders to the inside of that hull!!!!!!!!!! Thats by far the cleanest SLT 750 I have seen inside!!! You are headed the right direction......Keep it up, and we are all here to help along the way. If you want a ski to play around on, the SL 750 is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    That hot water pressure washer did wonders to the inside of that hull!!!!!!!!!! Thats by far the cleanest SLT 750 I have seen inside!!! You are headed the right direction......Keep it up, and we are all here to help along the way. If you want a ski to play around on, the SL 750 is hard to beat.
    Yeah the seller told me the SL was better for sporting, he was setting it up that way and the SLT for his wife. But like I said, I'm not really into it, but who knows, I might get the bug. Yeah that SLT was a mess inside too like the pics of the SL but when I was done it didn't ever smell like the 2 cycle oil anymore Thanks for the help, I'll be around...

If that sl has holes in the side I would just throw it away, but to each his own, SLT is looking good, your doing a good job and starting off on the right foot, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    If that sl has holes in the side I would just throw it away, but to each his own, SLT is looking good, your doing a good job and starting off on the right foot, keep us posted.
    They're not actually holes, just some gouges

Name:	IMAG0748.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	275572
    As fir the SL I haven't decided it's destiny yet, just focusing on the SLT for now. I do have a spare regulator for the SL with the Bilge/trim output I'm thinking about using it to charge the aux deep cycle batt when the engine is running. Anyone ever tried it? What kind of amperage is it capable of?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    They are good for 120 Watts at 4500 RPM, or about 8.3A @ 14.4 V

Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    They are good for 120 Watts at 4500 RPM, or about 8.3A @ 14.4 V
    Thanks! That will do the job for me.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Looks great in the SLT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information