Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fountain of Water from the Rear of the Jet Ski

We have just purchased a 2000 Polaris Virage. Had it on the lake this weekend and my 12 year old son noticed that some of the Jet Skis on the lake had a fountain of water rising from the back of their Jet Skis. I assume that this is so that boaters can see the Skis. Is this something that the Virage can had "modified"?

Sal

Banned User
    +1
    Yamaha does that. I have heard it referred to as the gay spray.....It is just a hose fitting tapped into the exit nozzle with a hose running to the outlet on the top deck of the ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it is important to you to have a similar 'visibility spout' you could try connecting the main cooling water exit hose to a large 'pisser' that was aimed upwards.

+1
    I've usually heard them called "pi$$ers"... for obvious reasons.

They are water outlets for the water cooling system in the engine. Many brands had them plumbed to a spout so they would spray a visible stream... often times up from the rear like a rooster tail... sometimes out the side of the ski. This allows you to see that water is pumping through your engine for cooling... that there are no blockages and everything is flowing fine. Polaris just has it exit out the back jet pump tunnel so you won't see it.

Cheers!

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Actually, On Yamaha skis the visibility spout is just water directed off the pump, not engine cooling water from a pisser.

Call em what you will, but I like it on my GP1200 - anything the makes me less likely to get run over by someone else who's not paying enough attention is a good thing in my books - I'd have one on my wife's Polaris as well of we didn't tow so much with it, but I don't think those being towed would appreciate it.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    They spray the driver when the wind is right, and spray anyone you ride with if you hang out with other skis, causing everyone to hate you.

If you always ride alone, yes they offer better visibility.

+1
    I've never Been sprayed by my own jet. I suppose it's possible if you're riding in super high winds, but I'm not into that.

I've only ever sprayed my wife once, and that was on purpose. The rest of the time she just stays off my flank and there's no problem. The only issue I could see is if you're riding in a huge group, but again, not a situation I've been in yet, and I could plug or disconnect it temporarily if needed pretty quick in this scenario.

Again, I'd rather piss than get run over. Too many idiots and clowns on the water today.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    We ride on a bay and my friends with Yamahas get sprayed whenever there's a wind blowing east as we're heading to the bay through the no wake zones. And if you are trying to ride next to them and talk, you can't if there's a north or south blowing wind.

IMO you can't really see the ski THAT much better with it, unless you're wave jumping a lot (in which case you wouldn't have a friend in proximity anyway).

I tend to ride with groups of friends, which is why I offered that perspective - I know not everyone rides with large groups, but not everyone rides alone where it's not a problem either.

+1
    I can certainly understand how it would be a problem in some scenarios, for sure.

That said, in no wake zone's my spout is rarely more than 4-5 feet in height so it doesn't really spray everywhere - I wonder if perhaps a previous owner put a restrictor in it or something.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
    Actually, On Yamaha skis the visibility spout is just water directed off the pump, not engine cooling water from a pisser.

Call em what you will, but I like it on my GP1200 - anything the makes me less likely to get run over by someone else who's not paying enough attention is a good thing in my books - I'd have one on my wife's Polaris as well of we didn't tow so much with it, but I don't think those being towed would appreciate it.
    Not quite sure if visibility is the purpose here. IMHO if they can't see your ski, they're definitely not gonna see your tiny water spout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information