06-26-2012, 01:59 PM #1
What an experience...(Electrical Problems)
I cannot believe the day we had at the lake... It started off with the simple replacement of a gasket.. I did that before we even left to go to the lake, and it was a successful task. "Good," I thought, thats always a good way to start the day. Anyways after unloading the ski, and starting it up.. I noticed the ski wasn't running right, it wasn't going past idle speed, like it wasn't getting enough gas.. I got it over to shore and looked in the ski, no problems. Checked the filter, checked the water/fuel seperator, and even tried switching to reserved to see if it would help. It did for a few minutes, and then it went back to running weak, not only that it died and wouldn't start again.I decided to pull the ski, and see if it would start and search for a problem. Nada. So I pulled the heads on the piston (Yes I brought tools to the lake, just in case). The MAG piston was black, CEN not so much, and PTO piston had a perfect piston wash. I put the heads back on the pistons and tried to start it one last time.What the hell?! Flames?! The ski had caught fire, or not nescessarily the ski, but the hull.. The first thing I thought was fire extiunguisher, but it wasn't there?! Why would I forget to check for that?! I had everything else, everything.. Anyways after a lot of panicing and throwing water in the ski, the fire was finally out.Got it home and checked up on it.. nothing SEEMED to be harmed, like the lines weren't melted, neither were any cords from the Electro Box.. And after more investigation there was oil in the bottom of the ski, that had been part of the fire.. Still don't know why it started. Not only did it start a fire, it shocked me, bad. And I guess when I staggered backwards from surprise I cut my hand on something in the engine. So I guess what I need to know, is where do I start..? I'm afraid to even touch that start buttin. Thanks for any help..
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
I wouldn't touch that button if my jet ski was on fire ( just kidding). If it shocked you bad then something has shorted very bad somewhere, thats what ignited the oil,(why is there oil in the bottom of the ski). I don't have a fire extiguisher in my ski either and I really need to get one before I am swimming back to shore with a sunk jet ski. Sounds like you need to go through you electrical system piece by piece. Maybe your stator shorted out??? One of our electrical guy will chime in on here you might wanna change your title to "Electrical Problems" so the right people will take interest. Good Luck
Where in Texas do you live, It is one hot mother today 104!
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM #3
06-26-2012, 08:05 PM #4
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM #5
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
- Cleveland OH
What ski are you asking about?
06-27-2012, 03:34 AM #6
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
If this is a 2 stroke oil should not be present period, unless its leaking from your tank, tell us what ski you got and we will go from there. I would pull everything but I didnt want to tell you to do that I think its best to go through everything electrical, even the stator, a bad short might have messed up who knows what.
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM #7
- Join Date
- Jul 2007
- near Toronto, Canada
fuel leak - check, or even better, replace all fuel lines. You had a fire in the hull. Plastics and hoses don't like fire.
Oil leak - same as above. Check all oil hose connections for seepage.
Electrical. There are wires under and around the engine. Hard to inspect but important that all the wire insulation be 100% good everywhere.
Fire requires fuel plus ignition. In addition to the fuel leak it would seem you have something that is exposed and sparking.
The electrical system on these machines is supposed to be 'explosion proof'. That means that even with fuel fumes present there should be zero sparks caused by the electrical and ignition systems.
My guess is that perhaps one of the heavy battery cables or bolts is corroded and sparking at the connection, or the spark plug wires/boots have degraded and are 'leaking' high voltage. One member years ago commented about running his engine on the trailer at night in total darkness and he was amazed at the blue high voltage discharge glow he saw all around the spark plug wires. He decided to replace those wires...
That the engine was running poorly suggests something was wrong before the fire ignited.
Last edited by K447; 06-29-2012 at 12:33 AM.
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM #8
Damn that sucks!
I had a Mariner engine on a house boat with a metal steering wheel. I went to shut my engine of and it kept running after I turned the key to the "off" position. When I toughed the steering wheel I got shocked. The main electrical harness was loose and just about ready to fall apart. After I pushed the plug's together it was fine.
I have no idea whats up with your ski, sorry bout your luck.
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM #9
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM #10
I would pull everything if it were my ski......
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)