Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red/Purple CDI wire question SL 1050

Need to find out where the CDI red/purple wire plugs in inside the Electrical Box. Also need to know type of connector. The used one I got in is missing the connecter (bullet m/f; spade m/f). The wire is also only about 4-5 inches long, is that long enough?

Anyone with a Box open that could look? I want to make sure I have the right connector before I go the lake 3 hours away.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Small female spade connector. Plugs into the board on the protected side of the 1/4 amp fuse. Going to need around 6" of wire so you're gonna be really close.

I'd splice a wire in if you need to.

here is a pic with the upgraded jumper on my sltx 1050 - hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    Need to find out where the CDI red/purple wire plugs in inside the Electrical Box. Also need to know type of connector. The used one I got in is missing the connecter (bullet m/f; spade m/f). The wire is also only about 4-5 inches long, is that long enough?

Anyone with a Box open that could look? I want to make sure I have the right connector before I go the lake 3 hours away.
    see attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120613-00041.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	275663  

That's perfect. Thanks. It looks like it was originally plugged into the double red/purple female plug right above in the picture before the upgrade. Has the orange wire update made any difference in your ski?

Maybe I should go ahead and make a jumper.

correct

Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    That's perfect. Thanks. It looks like it was originally plugged into the double red/purple female plug right above in the picture before the upgrade. Has the orange wire update made any difference in your ski?

Maybe I should go ahead and make a jumper.
    yes, it was originally plugged into that double R/OR connection. Haven't had it out on the lake yet....hopefully this weekend.....yahoo!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    yes, it was originally plugged into that double R/OR connection. Haven't had it out on the lake yet....hopefully this weekend.....yahoo!
    Looks like a little extra was added to that orange wire to get it to the red purple.......

Is that an oil sender bypass I see in there too??

pretty well original

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Looks like a little extra was added to that orange wire to get it to the red purple.......

Is that an oil sender bypass I see in there too??
    yea, I had to splice in a bit to make it easier to work with. nothing else done in the box other than a replacement coil pack and the updated cdi, as I was the first one in, in 16 years. I'm pretty sure the original coil was good, but just to be sure.

Ross, when you changed out your coil how did you get the wires loose from coil pack? Did they unscrew easily from the coil pack even with the rubber grommet or did the wires slide through the grommet? It look tough to get them loose.

The wires do not come out of the coil pack - they are epoxyed in. Just loosen up the 4 end screws on the wire cap and they should pull right out, but take the boots off carefully first. I have heard of someone on here that has ground out the epoxy to use new wires, but that looks pretty tedious.
    Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    yea, I had to splice in a bit to make it easier to work with. nothing else done in the box other than a replacement coil pack and the updated cdi, as I was the first one in, in 16 years. I'm pretty sure the original coil was good, but just to be sure.
    Nevermind - Its the high temp diode.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information