motor seized, now what?

I just got a 96 daytona 770. It lasts all of 10 minutes before the motor seized up in it. Not sure if it was from lack of water cooling, or if oil injection was the culprit. The rear cylinder looks completely dry. How do I tell which it was from? How hard and $$$ are these motors to rebuild? Im hoping its just the top end, gonna start tearing it apart soon. What should I look for? Do I need to pull the motor completely out, or can I do this with it on the ski?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but im new to pwc's. Ive worked on cars my whole life, and so far these have seemed pretty simple.

Thanks,
    greg

This morning on a whim, I went out to the garage and sprayed some pb blaster down the spark plug, then dumped a tiny bit of 2 cycle oil in too. Motor is now turning somewhat freely. Battery was too dead by the time I got the spark plugs back in, so going to charge the battery and see what it does. Im thinking/hoping that there may be a chance that only the rear cylinder is damaged... either way, I think this narrowed it down to the top end. What are the chances I damaged the bottom end too?

This morning on a whim, I went out to the garage and sprayed some pb blaster down the spark plug, then dumped a tiny bit of 2 cycle oil in too. Motor is now turning somewhat freely. Battery was too dead by the time I got the spark plugs back in, so going to charge the battery and see what it does. Im thinking/hoping that there may be a chance that only the rear cylinder is damaged... either way, I think this narrowed it down to the top end. What are the chances I damaged the bottom end too?

+1
    you will need to take the top end off and look at the damage. if the damage is bad and there is shavings everywhere or pieces missing chances are your bottom end has metal in it or bearings could have gotten damaged.

Took the valve cover off (or whatever the top of the motor is called), and all looked ok? Im thinking the cylinder got hot and seized, the cylinder wall feels a little wavy?

How hard and how expensive are top end rebuilds on these?

not hard at all to rebuild if its the top end. Go find a set of oversized pistons, take them and the jugs down to a machine shop to have them matched, reasemble, and preasure test. Do not run it until you preasure test it and make sure you dont have a airleak like a crank seal that went bad and caused it to lean out. Also, while apart, rebuild the carbs and get rid of the oil injection just to eliminate any possibility of this happening again. You do however still need to tear it all the way down and make sure no metal made its way into the bottom end and that the rod/crank bearings are all good.

pictures are worth a million words on here

Thread Information