Ski flooded this weekend. HELP!

So this weekend down the shore the ski decided to get mad at me and fill up with water. It was anchored for a while and only noticed when I tried to start it and it wouldn't. Dragged the ski onto the beach to empty out the water and traced the reason.

The coupler that connects the exhaust to the water box ripped. It was a riva coupler. I the water level was very high, the battery was completely submerged.

Today was the first chance I had to play around with it. I pulled the plugs and cranked it. a good amount of water came out in mist form. I did this process until no more mist.

Than I stuffed a paper towel into each cylinder and gave it a crank, they all flew out so I take it the compression is ok. Tried to check for spark and have no spark. The motor is cranking but not turning over. Also checked the oil and it does not look like there is water in the oil.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Are there any fuses on the ski that could have blown? Could something have gotten fried due to the flood? I still have warranty on this ski? Would this be covered?

Also, the ski is a 2008 Ultra LX (non supercharged)

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You had water sitting in the engine for a few days?...If so the no start is going to be the least of your problems....whats the oil look like?

+1
    there is a clear difference between warranty and insurance lol, type of ski? guessing maybe a 15f, as other batteries are locked away upfront. all you can do is dry everything out charge the battery and see how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    You had water sitting in the engine for a few days?...If so the no start is going to be the least of your problems....whats the oil look like?
    2 days, I did not have time to look at it due to work. Oil looks clean. Does not seem to have any water. It is not milky

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    there is a clear difference between warranty and insurance lol, type of ski? guessing maybe a 15f, as other batteries are locked away upfront. all you can do is dry everything out charge the battery and see how you go.
    Shouldn't warranty cover a hydrolocked motor? Its not exactly my fault that it decided to take on water? Its an ultra lx not a 15f. I actually did not have the battery cover on cause i lost the clips and did not get new ones yet (stupid, I know). The battery seems dead, when I was trying to crank it today I was jumping it from my car

+1
    Don't jump it from your car you can fry out a lot of the electronics that way.
    You might have already fried something if it didn't crank up.
    Also don't put anything into the cylinders other than oil/ lubrication.
    No paper towels ...
    Spray oil in the cylinders to help prevent rust.
    Was this in salt or fresh water??

+1
    If u do bring it to the stealership for warranty ( I don't think they cover what's happened to your ski) I wouldn't tell them you tried to jump start it...

Good luck ...
    And remember to bring some lube because there gonna try to bend ya over...

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdbygarrett View Post
    So this weekend down the shore the ski decided to get mad at me and fill up with water. It was anchored for a while and only noticed when I tried to start it and it wouldn't. Dragged the ski onto the beach to empty out the water and traced the reason.

The coupler that connects the exhaust to the water box ripped. It was a riva coupler. I the water level was very high, the battery was completely submerged.

Today was the first chance I had to play around with it. I pulled the plugs and cranked it. a good amount of water came out in mist form. I did this process until no more mist.

Than I stuffed a paper towel into each cylinder and gave it a crank, they all flew out so I take it the compression is ok. Tried to check for spark and have no spark. The motor is cranking but not turning over. Also checked the oil and it does not look like there is water in the oil.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Are there any fuses on the ski that could have blown? Could something have gotten fried due to the flood? I still have warranty on this ski? Would this be covered?

Also, the ski is a 2008 Ultra LX (non supercharged)

Any help would be great. Thanks!
    Highlighted part asses you out (probably) of warranty coverage. Part that failed was not OEM. Anytime you think you may have moisture in the engine you gotta try and fire it up. Best way to dry it out. The advice guys have given here, (nothing in cylinders/do not jump from auto, etc) is all good. Hope it'll straighten out for you. Good luck sir.

Why did you have RIVA coupler in the first place?
    Was it a clearn rip on the coupler or any sign of burn or too much heat? Can you post some pics of it?

Thread Information