Lowered sponsons on rxp, will they create more drag

Just a quick one gurus I have lowered standard sponsons on my rxp about 20mm just wondering if they will create more drag in the water Thus bringing the revvs down about just chasing a few revs and wondering if this could be a cause cheers

+1
    Not sure if it will lower RPMs in fact doubt it but it definately creats more drag and will lower your top speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Not sure if it will lower RPMs in fact doubt it but it definately creats more drag and will lower your top speed.
    Mean while back in Pierre Part, Troy is having good luck with a 900 lbs gator. LOL! what's up man how did you do in that race with papadawg the weekend of mudbug in Baytown?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    ? by doing this i would also think it would lift the rear of the ski and plow the nose too....Or would it? .i know this is for better handling.

+1
    If your going fast enough in a straight line wouldn't the rear be lifted enough for sponsons to not be touching water? I dropped my stockers and from still pics it appears that they're not dragging in the straights? Or so it appears

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
    Mean while back in Pierre Part, Troy is having good luck with a 900 lbs gator. LOL! what's up man how did you do in that race with papadawg the weekend of mudbug in Baytown?
    Yep the gators here are sure making a name for themselves.
    I ended up winning 3 first
    Intermediate stock, Intermediate Limited, and Intermediate Open endurance. Tyler is such a joy to watch ride. He makes it look so easy. He has way too much fun out there kisking our a$$es.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    ? by doing this i would also think it would lift the rear of the ski and plow the nose too....Or would it? .i know this is for better handling.
    It does not make enough of an impact on the ski to do this

Quote Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
    If your going fast enough in a straight line wouldn't the rear be lifted enough for sponsons to not be touching water? I dropped my stockers and from still pics it appears that they're not dragging in the straights? Or so it appears
    That is as it appears BUT it is such a small difference you would not notice without GPS verification. What they do is catch the water flowing off your hull and the forse adds more drag. In reality this is really not anything to worry about. To answer the OP it would not cause a noticable drop in RPMs. As far as the extremely slight speed loss, if a ski beat you with them down it would probably beat you when they are up if the race was a strait line. Fine where YOU like the way your ski handles and leave them there and figure out where the RPMS went.
    One thing I want to ask is your RPM loss..... Was it an all of a sudden when you lowered the sponsons? Reason I am asking I see you have just been a menber since the end of the year. I want to let you know that with the summer heat you will loose RPMs. I actually change my impeller between the summer and the cooler months. I loos a few hundred RPMs depending on my setup. With my endurance race setup I will loose between 300 and 400 depending on the air and water temps and humidity down here in the swamp.

Thread Information