Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what ratio for premix 01gp1200r

just converted my 01gp1200r to premix. what is the ratio i should use? also shuld i still use yamalube? normally i fill up 5 gallon containers. i have been told a quorte per 5 gallon. is this true? also i have gas in my tank now so i guess i have to siphon it out so i could get a accurate ratio

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandrida92 View Post
    just converted my 01gp1200r to premix. what is the ratio i should use? also shuld i still use yamalube? normally i fill up 5 gallon containers. i have been told a quorte per 5 gallon. is this true? also i have gas in my tank now so i guess i have to siphon it out so i could get a accurate ratio
    if you go with a fully synthetic oil 40 to 1 is what i run if you go with a none synthetic 36 to 1

+1
    Its much safer to convert but be ready for a big increase in oil consumption, I switched back

+1
    I run 40:1 and yes it uses more oil but I like it. I don't ride a lot so my fuel stays good longer with pre-mix. I leave it for 5 months over the winter with some ethanol blue stabil and its good to go when it warms up.

I have read 40:1 and 50:1 so I go with a nice 45:1 to stay in the middle of the road. Plus, we use our ski for conventional use more than WOT. More time spent in the 20 to 40mph range for fishing. If you are using your's for high RPM use...you may want to go with a bit more. As far as the oil pump (joka)...I would be buying a new engine right now if it wasn't for using pre-mix. Totally my mistake but one of my pulse lines became blocked with some debris that I let get in there (don't even ask ha!) but I have been running on 2 cylinders for about 30 hours now and it doesn't look like I toasted the front cylinder afterall. If one of the fuel pumps on one of those carbs gets blocked or otherwise doesn't work...eeks. Just my 2 cents

alright thanks for the help guys! i really appreciatte it

+1
    How did being premix save your engine from being damaged from a plugged vacuum pulse line? If you were premix, and the fuel pump wasn't working for that carb, you would have NO oil. If you had the pump, you would have at least lubricated the crank and pistons with oil, even when that cyl was not running. That happened to a buddy of mine, he had a clogged fuel filter on one carb and it was not firing. I believe if he had been premix, and rode that long, he would have done damage to other parts, instead he was lubricated anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gigem View Post
    I have read 40:1 and 50:1 so I go with a nice 45:1 to stay in the middle of the road. Plus, we use our ski for conventional use more than WOT. More time spent in the 20 to 40mph range for fishing. If you are using your's for high RPM use...you may want to go with a bit more. As far as the oil pump (joka)...I would be buying a new engine right now if it wasn't for using pre-mix. Totally my mistake but one of my pulse lines became blocked with some debris that I let get in there (don't even ask ha!) but I have been running on 2 cylinders for about 30 hours now and it doesn't look like I toasted the front cylinder afterall. If one of the fuel pumps on one of those carbs gets blocked or otherwise doesn't work...eeks. Just my 2 cents

Banned User
    +1
    40:1

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    How did being premix save your engine from being damaged from a plugged vacuum pulse line? If you were premix, and the fuel pump wasn't working for that carb, you would have NO oil. If you had the pump, you would have at least lubricated the crank and pistons with oil, even when that cyl was not running. That happened to a buddy of mine, he had a clogged fuel filter on one carb and it was not firing. I believe if he had been premix, and rode that long, he would have done damage to other parts, instead he was lubricated anyway.
    Yea LT, good pickup. My mistake. The pulse line was 100% plugged up on #1 and the only possible time that the debris was inserted in there was close to 30 running hours ago, mainly under 30mph. When i pulled the plugs, #1 was quite rich looking so I assumed the pre-mix was saving me. Makes more sense though that if the oil line was still pumping directly into the top of the carb that the lube factor would be the best. What I don't understand at all though is why i had no holeshot with the clog but was still able to achieve normal top speed of 52 with this condition. Unless the pulse was actually working somewhat and maybe when I removed the line the debris shifted to plug it off more? Regardless, I stand corrected on the burning a cylinder comment under these circumstances. P.S. that's why my comments are always worth 2 cents.

+1
    We are always learning, thats the great thing about keeping an open mind about things. I have changed several thoughts about things ovver the years, and its usually better if you can learn from the other guy and not have to learn from bad experiances of your own. I really have a belief in the restrictor mod now, originally did not understand how beneficial the helping a weak carb pump it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information