Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Had a scary thing happen, for me anyway....

Took my 2011 ultra 300 LX up to a local lake with the family on Monday, had a great time overall. Did alot of pulling of tubes, boards and skis. Could not have been happier except for one 2-3 second part. I came in toward the shore to drop off one of my nieces and to pick up another one to take for a ride. The water was about 18-20" deep. Lake bottom was made up of rocks averaging 2-3" in diameter, some smaller, some larger but this was average size. I was just at idle, came in sideways, gave the throttle a very slight bump to turn my nose out toward deeper water and I heard and felt a sharp clank, the engine sputters once and almost stalled but then ran fine.......

Scared the hell out of me, I thought I had hit a rock. Shut the ski down, got off and could not see any rock I had clipped, nothing there. Pushed the ski out to about 4 feet of water, got on and started it up, felt and sounded fine. Opened things up after testing things and there seemed to be a slight vibration at the very top end. It still hit 50 with the SLO key. Stopped and put in the FLO key and it ran right to 64-65 mph but the water was pretty smooth so I figured it may simply been the water that was making it feel a bit more vibration.

Ran it for another 2hours playing around and everything felt fine.

At the end of the day and with 1/3 full fuel tank I took it out by myself. Slight chop on the water. She hit 67 mph very fast, there was no unusual vibration this time and I ran it pretty hard and long and it felt great.

Could I have gotten lucky and just sucked up a small rock and it passed though without any damage?????

What and where should I look to check for any damage??

i have alot of experience with this lol just look inside the pump with a flashlight and look at the pump veins u will c the impeller and look at the very front of the pump where the front of the fins start u should c if theres any chunks missing i think im the king of chewing up pumps ha ha

Banned User
    +1
    You most likely took a chunk out or nicked something. How bad it is is another story might not affect anything and then again if it starts cavitating or vibrating u know why

+1
    You could have gotten VERY lucky and cucked up something that was too big to fit where it tried to go through the grate or it could have been something verysmall that sounded bug. It will definately let you know it something small hit your impeller. Just look through your intake grate or if it would bake you feel better pull your intake grate and you can really see the impeller.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Pull the throttle hard from a dead stop. If it cavitates you know you have done some damage. It sounds like you got lucky though.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Pull the throttle hard from a dead stop. If it cavitates you know you have done some damage. It sounds like you got lucky though.
    I am a newb here so bare with me. What does cavitation feel like? It pulls from a dead stop just as hard as it did before. I can really not tell any difference and I did 5-6 full power pulls from idle all the way up to the speed limiter and it felt normal to me.

Anyway, please explain what it feels like when you DO have cavitation issues.

Thanks.

+1
    Your RPMs will spin up and you will not take off as fast. Other than that you will turn higher RPMs at full throttle and less speed.

Sounds like you are good to go.

+1
    I did basically the same thing last summer. Pretty much idled into a sand bar by accident. Heard the cling clang, sputter, then ok. Turned out did have a small rock in the pump. Once I removed that it ran a bit smoother. Sounds like this happens to all of us at one time or another in our riding careers.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, cavitation from a start is noticeable if when you pull the throttle the ski hits the limiter, then comes back down (like a clutch slipping in a car). This is in the extreme case.

Kawi has a very good pump set up, so while it's actually not likely (hitting the limiter), in other brands it is. change your digital display to RPM and watch how high the RPM's go on take off next time. Post it up for us. Mine hit's about 8300 rpm. If you are a couple hundred higher than that you may have a problem?

+1
    cavitation is like spinning the wheels in your car, motor revs but you move off slowly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information