95 Kawasaki sts 750 voltage output from magneto to CDI

My Kawasaki will only rev to 4000 rpms, I know it's either the magneto or CDI. Testing the voltage output but I don't know the exact volts each one should be putting out. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Anybody!? Lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leach247 View Post
    My Kawasaki will only rev to 4000 rpms, I know it's either the magneto or CDI.
    You really should give people a chance to answer. We don't all stay up through the night to serve you.

What makes you think it's an electrical problem?

Sprayed fuel into intake, did not change, thought possible exhaust plug, disconnected exhaust did the same thing. Gas lines are free of Debrey, carb looks great, new coil and battery. Had someone look at it and he says it's either the magneto or CDI igniter.. Thanks for he reply! Took both volt reading from the magneto, would like to know what it should e reading.

+1
    I have no idea what the voltage should be, but I highly doubt it's electrical. If it runs at 4000, it ought to run at 6000. You might have a broken spark plug lead. They typically break where they enter the spark plug boot. Unscrew the boot and try pulling some of the wire strands with some needlenose pliers. If strands come out, cut the wire back a little bit and re-install the boot.

Try driving the 'Ski and pulling the choke out halfway when it messes up and see if that helps. Also, check for a cold cylinder after running it a while.

What do your spark plugs look like?

Brand new spark plugs, also already cut the wires back, but I'm going to try again just In case. Going to take the ski out tomorrow, and do the things you advised. Let ya know! Ski ran great when i first got it, then I installed a brand new jet drive impeller, took it out to test the new impeller. Rode 50 yards, and it bogged down, had to idle in.

+1
    OK ,here I go out on a limb again and see what I can help with. I do agree with Steve45, usually a bad stator, in which the pickup coil is wound into either works or puts out nothing, so I doubt if its the magneto[stator] or Cdi box. Cdi box failure is rare and once again is usually good or nothing. Kaw 750 running only 4000 rpm......my guess is you are only running on one cylinder. Didn't see anything about a compression check....lets start there. Use a spare plug and check each spark plug lead against a ground.......both sparking? Basic rule of all engines....compression, spark, and fuel....lets rule out the first two......Steve

Thread Information