Odd acceleration and heating problem, possibly the same?

So- I have a 93 Waverunner III 650. It has been well taken care of and has ran great the past summers. Until it met its arch enemy. We sucked up some rocks and rather than stop and remove them, driver tried to essentially power through it Anyway, the shaft got chewed up and the intake housing had a crack, but we fixed em up and put it back together.

The test drive- Epic fail. The ski would get right to it's power band and then sputter and not increase rpms or speed any. Never felt anything like it. Noticed it to be getting very hot so took it to shore, pulled off the hood and had a little bit of smoke coming out. Didn't run it after that. Come to find out that, the intake hose for the water on the passenger side was disconnected ! OK that solves the overheating but what of this bogging/cutting problem ? Did yamaha have a sensor in their skis that detects the presence of water, and without it, won't let them go to a certain RPM by controlling the timing? Any tips or help would be oh so appreciated, as I am so frustrated and disappointed in myself at the moment :*( Thanks!

On the subject of the potential overheating, I was probably on the water for 5 mins :/ The ski never heat seized and stop (thank God) but it was pretty hot inside. Are these things able to take a little bit of accidental heat?

+1
    High temp shut down sensor in exhaust or light siezure? Although your friend may have bent your shaft or even worse (won't say it)... That's why I only let a select few people ride my ski's...

Quote Originally Posted by PWCSAR View Post
    High temp shut down sensor in exhaust or light siezure? Although your friend may have bent your shaft or even worse (won't say it)... That's why I only let a select few people ride my ski's...
    c c c crank? NOOO!

Well I had to idle out of the no wake zone which took about 40 seconds, at which point it started acting funny. Don't know how long the sensor takes to kick in but...? Any suggestions for testing?

+1
    If you can check compression? I would probably spin the shaft by hand first.. I've never had a temp sensor shut me off (yet) I may remove it anyway.. good luck, this is the time of year things break, alway before a holiday weekend for me.. The bogging, cutting problems were probably due to your cooling line comming off... Your crank is probably ok but I would check the holes before I took it back out... You may have a slight problem there, ya may get lucky???

you sucked rocks and sand ..you also sucked them in smaller form into your engine and cooling system tract...you will need to inspect the engine for full cooling water flow ..check the hoses and all ,then pull the head...I'd bet you got bunches of stuff all thru the system.,exhaust too..( this is why many install sea strainers into their cooling water inlet hose)

and yes you will have a sensor that goes into limp mode ( it did its job, hopefully saving your engine ,why remove it unless you feel youll never suck rocks again?)

Well I did a compression test, 90 and 145ish were my numbers....Is 90 enough to make this thing not run right? :/ I also disconnected the temp sensor (took the wires out) and fired it up out of water, still acts funny. Will probably end up having to clean the ports anyway if I pull the thing apart and replace rings or worse...Wish I knew more about proper compression

+1
    90 is low enough to cause a problem. Time to tear down the top end and inspect further.

+1
    Been out of town, actually still out of town but yep.. It's time to either replace a sleeve and one piston or the way I'd do it on my boat is bore one size over and go with both new pistons and rings, while it's out I would R&R all cooling lines and install a inline filter to help keep foriegn debris out of your cooling system... I also would atleast split the crank and R&R seals , have trued & welded full port & polish (If it was mine of course) etc... (Remove & Replace) That sucks and especially this time of year, been there many times and feel your pain ... I am just hopin to make it through the summer on my 250 hr. 98 GP 760 which I bought in late march and have 42.5 of those hrs. on it in less than three months.... Good luck bud... I am probably forgetting something but I am sure someone else will chime in.. .... Regards, Jeff

Thread Information