My Experience with my Yammie Skis

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Skis but not new to Yamaha. I have been tracking and street riding Yamaha R1 for a long time and wanted something more family oriented so I picked up the 2 Yamaha GP1200r Skis. They are both 2000 with 187 hours on each. I thought I got a could deal for 3300.00 for both so I couldn’t say no to that. Anyway the seller claimed he did recent service and maintained on regular basis. On the day of purchase they both fired up right away and after inspecting I couldn’t see anythign wrong with them as far as unusual leaking etc and no lights on dash.

2 days later I took them out to the water and one of them was fine while the other died right away due to battery as I assumed. I came home started to do the maitnence myself. I replaced fuel fitlers on both and lubed/greased the placed that the Service Manual recommends. After installing the new battery on the one that died on me, It took about 7 tries before it fired up. I ran it for a few seconds turned it off. Attached garden hose, turned it back on and turned the water on so the ski could run for 10 mintues while I inspect it etc. Ski runs fine but runs at 3k rpms for a while then it settled to 2k rpm which was unusual for me.

Should I mess with that and adjust it?

Ok, now to the Ski that ran fine from day one. I started with spark plugs (picture attached). That does not look good, so obviously today I will change the spark plugs.

What do I clean that corrosion and that dirt in the hole with? I already bougth some Yamaha Silicone Protectant, I am assuming that is only to spray over engine to protect it from future corrosion. Should I use WD40 to clean that hole.

Also, when I do install new spark plugs, do I need to add that 1 tablespoon of oil? Or just clean it and tighten them?

Thanks so much for all the help and replies, I hope I am not a pain with the questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp12333.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	275774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp12333.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	275775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gprrr.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	275776  

+1
    Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your new rides. Put the plugs in before you try to clean it up, or you will get some of the junk inside the cylinder. The rusty outside of the plugs is not an unusual thing, as that is a low point that tends to collect water, which then causes the plug to rust. Its not hurting anything really if you just wipe it up with carb cleaner and q-tips, then maybe spray a bit of lube/wd-40 on the area after you put the new plugs in. You don't need to put a teaspoon of oil in the cyl unless you are storing it for long term.

Thank you so much Sir, I am really enjoying this forum!

let us know how you make out when you put the new plugs in!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandrida92 View Post
    let us know how you make out when you put the new plugs in!

I sure will, I will be doing it this weekend.

+1
    might as well do a compression test on both ski's if you have the plugs out.

Thread Information