Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 Polaris Sltx won't turn over....

I just finished putting my Sltx all back together and it will not turn over. If you run a jumper wire to the starter solenoid it will turn over. so the solenoid works. I am suspecting the voltage regulator right now...

anyone run into this before?

Here's a little update, if I take the orange wire that goes to the handlebars and put it on a red and purple terminal I can get the engine to turn over if I press the bildge and start buttons.

it just seems that the start switch on the handlebar isn't receiving the proper power to energize the yellow/red solenoid wire... if that makes any sense....

with it wired properly, does holding the bilge pump button and starter button down and pump running, make it turnover? It shouldn't make a difference on starter circuit, I think. Only thing inbetween is the circuit breaker. I'd double check all your wiring connections to ensure each is hooked up properly. Red/purple should be hot all the time from the diagram I'm looking at. Yellow/red first goes to the stop/run button then goes to the start button.

unless your stop/run button isn't working properly. Does anyone know what type of switch is in the stop/run button? Is that the lanyard switch? Could the circuit breaker be popped? it feeds the all red/purple wires it looks like.

disconnect the circuit breaker wire on one side. then, check circuit breaker with an ohm/continuity meter, should be 0 ohms or should beep at you.

I think i might have found the problem, The red/purple wires going to the handlebar have faded and they look red/white.... anyway i hooked them up to where the rest of the red/purples are and bam the engine turns over.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    I think i might have found the problem, The red/purple wires going to the handlebar have faded and they look red/white.... anyway i hooked them up to where the rest of the red/purples are and bam the engine turns over.
    Hmmm - faded wires are not something that has been documented much around here.

Are there certain wire colors that are known to fade more than others?

the reason I thought of this is because I found a post on here about the same thing...... I can't find a wiring diagram... it would be nice to know which wire colors are in the start/stop/bildge pump harness because if there isn't two red/white wires..... then the two I have must be red/purple...

Ok here's my latest update..... engine cranks over good now... but now when the engine is cranking it only sparks when I let off the start button...... I had this issue before with a different ski, and I can't recall what I did to fix it, but I thought it was an easy fix.... so familiar to anyone? thanks

battery reads 10.9 volts while cranking.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    Ok here's my latest update..... engine cranks over good now... but now when the engine is cranking it only sparks when I let off the start button...... I had this issue before with a different ski, and I can't recall what I did to fix it, but I thought it was an easy fix.... so familiar to anyone? thanks
    Spark only when releasing Start button is a symptom of weak battery voltage at the CDI. Hold down Bilge button and see if it starts or has stronger spark.

10.9 volts at the battery while cranking is barely within the acceptable range. What that means is that if the voltage loss through the wiring all the way to the CDI is merely 0.4 volts (or more) then the voltage at the CDI will not meet the minimum requirements.

Check the voltage right at the CDI Black and Red/Purple wires. While cranking that voltage should be more than 10.6 volts.

Make sure the lanyard is in place and look for any possible issues with poor grounding, corrosion, etc.

I do not recall there being ANY White/Red wires on the non fuel injected models, but my coffee has not yet kicked in this morning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information