+1

02 Virage TXI hard starting when cold, might have narrowed it down on mine? Help!

I've posted here before about this problem, and so has others. My TXi runs like crap for the first 10 mins when cold in the morning. It will start and die, and runs a little longer with each start, missing like crazy, until it's plenty warm. After that, it runs great the rest of the day.

The previous owner sent in the EMM, and it came back stating nothing wrong with it. It's been like this since I've owned it. Here's we're it gets weird.

I had it sitting in my yard for 2 weeks, on trailer in the shade. I wanted to clean it, since it was dirty. I left the seat off, and was cleaning the hull. Had it in the sun, it took me a couple hours to clean it. I brought out to the lake after cleaning it, to do some riding with friends, and was expecting to have to do the same old thing, start, die, start, die, for the next ten mins. When I put it in the water, it fired right up, and ran great! No missing, no start, die B.S.

What would make it do this? I'm leaning towards the air temp sensor, but the only Polaris dealership in town says there is no air temp sensor. Is this true? I don't believe it. Could this be my problem?

I have installed a new battery, and new NGK plugs, the correct ones (before the seat off incident). This didn't affect the problem at all. Letting the motor cook in the sun for a couple hours did.

Does anyone have the part number for the air temp sensor for a 2002 Virage TXI 1200?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bill

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is an air temp sensor mounted into the bottom of the flame arrestor base.

You can check it with an ohm meter.

The electrical stator also warms up with engine heat, as does the EMM itself.

TPS throttle sensors often fail and symptoms can vary widely.

+1
    What should the resistance be for the Temp sensor? Just for giggles, last night I went and started it (it hasn't been started for 2 weeks). Cover was on it, but another hot day. Pulled cover off, and it fired right up. great throttle response. Went out this morining, before the sun had a chance to warm it up, and it did the same thing, start, die, start die.

Do I believe the previous owner, on the fact that he sent the EMM into DFI? I called DFI, and asked if I gave them my serial nimber off the EMM, could they check and see if it was actually worked on. They said they needed the person's name that sent it in. Of course, I can't remember his name, and the ski wasn't in his name when I transfered it, it was in his brother-in-laws, or something like that. I had no trouble putting it in my name, and he's a 6 hour drive away.

I did unplug the TPS, and it didn't change anything. It acts the same cold. Other than the EMM, where would you suggest checking? Thanks,

Bill

Try these numbers

Air Temperature Sensor [email protected] 77° F (25° C) 990-1010 Ω
    Water Temperature Sensor [email protected] 77° F (25° C) 985 - 1015 Ω

pink/blue wire, i think. I can't find the temp sensor in the Polaris online catalog, however. Found some info in my 2002 service manual.

+1
    Thanks Dave. I'll check it now. I'm starting to think my stator might be going.

Thread Information