Polaris Virage/Freedom fuel leak

Hi,

I bought a 2002 Polaris Freedom not knowing whether or not was running (great deal, huh?!). Turns out it runs pretty well but when I filled the gas tank completely full (too full, up to the filler cap) I have a fuel leak at the top of the tank where all of the lines run into it. There are three, I think, silver fuel lines that are part of the cap and then the flexible lines are attached to those fittings. One of the silver fittings in the fancy cap is loose - is that normal or could that be my problem? Are those three fittings integral to the cap or are they individually replaceable/fixable? It appears to be the one furthest aft and the line runs back towards the engine.

I loosened the hose clamp holding it in place but was unable to remove the part since it protrudes into the tank. I suspect it will be a fuel tank removal to get it out but I'm wondering if this is a likely culprit. Is it something that can be tightened, o-ring replaced, or is it something that will likely need replacement?

Has anybody seen that part up close removed from the tank?

Thanks!
    Steve

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Post a photo of the problem.

It sounds like the top of the fuel sender module has been damaged. The entire fuel sender is a single replaceable unit.

I must warn you that any fuel leak inside a PWC hull is dangerous. The entire hull is an enclosed space and is exempt from the normal inboard engine boat requirement to have a bilge exhaust fan. That means that even a small leak can create an explosive mixture of air and fumes.

Get the problem fixed, then wash out the hull and let it air dry.

Always disconnect the battery before working on the fuel system.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. It's my gut feeling that the unit is damaged too, I was just hoping someone could tell me there was a simple fix. Are those still available somewhere?

Thanks for the reply,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Post a photo of the problem.

It sounds like the top of the fuel sender module has been damaged. The entire fuel sender is a single replaceable unit.

I must warn you that any fuel leak inside a PWC hull is dangerous. The entire hull is an enclosed space and is exempt from the normal inboard engine boat requirement to have a bilge exhaust fan. That means that even a small leak can create an explosive mixture of air and fumes.

Get the problem fixed, then wash out the hull and let it air dry.

Always disconnect the battery before working on the fuel system.

+1
    That fuel sender 2410124 was used on a bunch of models from 1999-2004.

Should be available used, and possibly also new.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

Yes - that's the right part! Good to hear that they might still be available, I'm waiting for the dealer to open to give them a call this morning.

Are the three metal tubes coming out the top cast as part of the sender unit? Meaning, if I can wiggle one of them is it necessarily broken or is it something attached that I could disassemble and tighten? I just can't get it far enough out to see without taking out the gas tank. The aft 90 degree metal piece of the sender is loose and leaks fuel if the tank is full. I was hoping someone knows if that means it is broken. It won't come out if I lift up on it but it definitely is loose.

Thanks!
    Steve

That fuel sender 2410124 was used on a bunch of models from 1999-2004.

Should be available used, and possibly also new.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

+1
    I do not have one of that particular sender on hand but all the other Polaris versions I have seen it is all cast/bonded together during manufacture. So I doubt there is anything to tighten that would fix the problem.

Thanks - appreciate the help!

Steve

I do not have one of that particular sender on hand but all the other Polaris versions I have seen it is all cast/bonded together during manufacture. So I doubt there is anything to tighten that would fix the problem.

Thread Information