Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 slt 750 bogging just off idle

Just saying you guys are great. Here's my problem.
    Bought the jet ski with a holed piston. Picked up a used jug and piston and installed it put in 3 outlet mikun pump. replaced the fuel lines, rebuilt the carburetors.
    Put in auto light x63 iridium plugs gapped at .028. Set low screws at 1/2 turn.
    The highs at 11/4m 3/8 c 7/8 pto. Starts and idles. Index was ok checking with dowel rod method. Hit the throttle and bogs just off idle, but will push through ot if you double bump it. Checked the compression m100 c97 p100 .is that enough some seem to say yes some say no. What is right? Seems like it will go if i hit the right mixture still running injected oil and regular gas. Got the carb kits from Mr. Zigler but i did not set the popoff. What do you think. Thanks in advance. Is this worth chasing the adjustments. It seems like im really close

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

100 psi compression is low.

Were you holding the throttle open when testing?

Try cllosing the choke wheile you take off. If that hepls, it's lean and you can turn the lows OUT a little more to compensate. If it hinders it, then you might be rich and can turn them in a little bit.

Pop off test would be a good thing to have done.

Might want to look at the fuel selector valve too if you haven't.

Thanks for the fast reply . No i wasnt holding the throttle open -should i have been?
    Will try pulling the choke tomorrow and probably pull the carbs to do the popoff adjust i believe 18 psi is the correct popoff. Let me know. I will keep you posted. Thanks for help

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

100 psi compression is low.

Were you holding the throttle open when testing?

Try cllosing the choke wheile you take off. If that hepls, it's lean and you can turn the lows OUT a little more to compensate. If it hinders it, then you might be rich and can turn them in a little bit.

Pop off test would be a good thing to have done.

Might want to look at the fuel selector valve too if you haven't.

+1
    My 94 slt did the same thing & after doing everything I could think of still no luck, would always go if I pulled the choke out half way, what finally cured it was upping the main jet one size & upping the pilot jet one size. I blame it on todays poor fuel quality, also if you are using gas with ethanol do not use 87, you will hole another piston shortly, use 89 minimum. These engines were design before the introduction of ethanol & need the extra octane to offset shortcomings of ethanol. This requirement was first put into the 1996 model year owners manuals. Also your compression is a little low, but more important its even, if the ski runs good after the initial bog, don't worry about compression.

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    My 94 slt did the same thing & after doing everything I could think of still no luck, would always go if I pulled the choke out half way, what finally cured it was upping the main jet one size & upping the pilot jet one size. I blame it on todays poor fuel quality, also if you are using gas with ethanol do not use 87, you will hole another piston shortly, use 89 minimum. These engines were design before the introduction of ethanol & need the extra octane to offset shortcomings of ethanol. This requirement was first put into the 1996 model year owners manuals. Also your compression is a little low, but more important its even, if the ski runs good after the initial bog, don't worry about compression.
    Thanks for helping out i need all i can get. Going on vacation tomorrow for two weeks and would love to ride it. It was pouring rain today so didnt touch it. Will be cruising past RCJS tomorrow may stop by and grab the jets just in case i have to go that way. Going to do all my testing tomorrow so hopefully i will have some good results after popoff adjust, choke test , and (can i just add octane boost to what i got?) Fuel change. Thanks again.

Banned User
    +1
    Top off your tank with premium a.d it should be ok

Ok finally had a chance to mess with it. Pulled the carbs did a pop off test they were 20 21 18 adjusted all of them to 18 . Pulled the reeds and inspected them. Found acouple lifted out of spec i flipped those ,and they were ok some edgea were burnt i ordered some new, but for now new gaskets and reassembled. Rechecked all my plates and carb settings. Primed her up she fired fine set he idle at about 2400 i assume she will drop when in the water i can final sets there. Also did clean out the fuel selector switch. Will put her in the water tomorrow and let you all know

Put it n the water still had a bog/hesitation started with opening lows it didnt improve. Reset them to stock. Revved her up up and held it at 6200 and checked piston wash mag was wet center and pto was dry.started to crack the highs on the center ans pto kept bringing them response started to improve kept bringing them up till the pistons got a light sheen to them at wide open. Dont know if it was the right thing to do but sent it out anyway. Well good response 6640 rpms never broke up ran great. Starts with short tap of the switch. So what do you guys think it runs but it is tuned out of spec.

+1
    Max HP is listed at 6250. At 6640 you are pushing and/or bumping the rev limiter. What impeller are you using? Might want to check impeller/wear ring clearance. What top speed are you seeing?

Banned User
    +1
    750 should run 6200-6300 RPM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information