Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

gp1200 has no spark

Hello all im a newbie to the jetski word just purchased a 97 waverunner gp1200 earlier this week and am clueless. lol. To start out i bought it with engine out for a starter replacement. Well i got the engine in an everything hooked up not the best of my knowledge but have no spark. Could someone point me in a direction to start with? thanks

+1
    do you have a service manual? Do you have all the stator/magneto wires all hook up inside the electrical box? If you do, then refer to the service manual for resistance testing the stator as it is one of the most common causes of no spark on this ski.

Just to add I took my meter an checked the stator an I'm getting a reading from it. But what should it be can't find that info anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    do you have a service manual? Do you have all the stator/magneto wires all hook up inside the electrical box? If you do, then refer to the service manual for resistance testing the stator as it is one of the most common causes of no spark on this ski.
    No I don't have one but looks like I'm gonna have to download me one. What a gd place to get one from?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisal1234 View Post
    Just to add I took my meter an checked the stator an I'm getting a reading from it. But what should it be can't find that info anywhere?
    Its in the service manual in chapter 7 (electrical systems).
    Your reading depends on what you're testing. the 3 pulsar coils should read 248 to 372 ohms, the charge coils - 172 to 258 ohms for one and 656 to 984 ohms for the other

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisal1234 View Post
    No I don't have one but looks like I'm gonna have to download me one. What a gd place to get one from?
    Lol. you must have posted that while I was typing. PM sent.

Since there's three seperate coils its very unlikely that you have zero spark based on bad coils. Are you absolutely sure you have no spark? You have to check it in a dark room, its not easy to see.

+1
    And its best to use a spark tester as they really stress test/load test the ignition system better then just a spark plug in open air.

9. +1 by:

HI.i lost my first username and open a new account as my last email did not work , i have the same problem but i am more oriented to read voltage on the connectors, i bought a gp1200 from 1997 with no spark, i open the box and found the stator wiring is a black connector with 3 cables, then as an old school mechanic i check the voltage on the black and red wire, in all the japanese bikes and watercrafts that i have or has been own, that wire is the hot one to the cdi and must give me a good value ( more than 50 volts ac)
    i have 3 wires on 1 connector
    blue,black/red,brow and 2 wires green ( i think they are the ac charge) , my question is as i did not have the manual, why 3 wires, they not have connection to ground and between then the readings are
    213 homs brown/black red just that there is no other reading from any combination on the blue, the green ones are 0.9 homs betwen them ?????????? were i lost my way??

can help me with the colors of that charge coils ( brown,blue,black/re)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information