Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Custom air Intake and Water Ingestion, let's hear from you

ok guys... i'm getting ready to dive into the RXT deep. i got the ski in the garage with pieces all over the place makin room and seeing what my best bets are... i won't go into detail of what i'm doing exactly and i'll stay on topic of this thread...

i'm trying to figure a way to intake strictly 100% outside air. Every design i come up with goes in the same direction: if by chance water gets into the air ducts it's jsut going to ingest into the motor with the intense vaccuum of the supercahrger.

a few of you have had water ingestion problems i remember seeing threads.. what was the cause?

what i would like to do is something like this... take the stock air box and completely gut it on the inside and smooth it out and remove anything and all palstic passages and whatnot in it.... then bore a bigger hole in the air box and run either 3" or 4" duct work to the supercahrger. now on the other end, i was going to remove that lid on the stock air box entrance and clamp a 4" duct onto that and run it straight to the vent the enters the hull from under the glove box...

my concerns... if water gets into the vent, it goes right into duct, into stock air box, etc... ALSO, by running hose duct directly from that vent to the stock air box i no longer have a vent just floating in the hull. is this a concern?

i wanted to keep the stock air box only bc then i dunt gotta worry about re-routing rectifiers, sensors, wires, etc..it's not restrictive, it has drains in the bottom of it for water, but lets be realistic... not all the water is gonna stop dead in its tracks and fall to the bottom and sick there draining... the restrictice part is between the air box and the SC... i'll replace all that

i would ideally like to incorporate a fan pressurizing that air box a little jsut for that build up for a nice hole shot... after that it's totally useless and i know that... the object is to induct all outside air without risking water ingestion. is that something that is feasible on an RXT?

any brainstorming thought you have are appreciated. I have several threads saved from you guys doing air intakes, so i'm studying them all finding strong points and weak points. let me know if you have any thoughts and commentary on my above questions and if i need to have the hull vented or if i can directly tap the vent and air intake together.

+1
    I`d say its feesable,,,just remember,,,grandma was slow,,,but she was old.

Fans to pressurize, 4" ducts, water traps,,,sounds real James Bond. Not to point a finger, but the supercharger is only so big. This is NOT a 10-71. One thousandth of a second does not realate to 50 feet. This airbox thing is way outa hand. Not just you but by everyone.
    What I see now is people completely overlooking safety and durability.
    I haven`t said it yet but the air mod going into the front storage box is a waste of time and relatively stupid. The gains that are seen from the cooler air are totaly wasted on a restrictive flex hose with all the ribs in it. That in itself creates turbulence which hinders airflow. A smooth surface will flow greater volume than a non smooth surface.

+1
    restrictive flex hose with all the ribs in it. That in itself creates turbulence which hinders airflow. A smooth surface will flow greater volume than a non smooth surface.

Boy ant that the truth. One reason why I haven't done it is because that ribbed air hose is crap.

Shibby, did you ever read my post on my RXP and my uncle? I have the PPG style L-1 and I will tell ya that it will get water into the motor. You take a hard 360 and water comes over the hood and with the suction of the SC, all and any water near that fresh air vent will get sucked in. Also the stock air box with its water holding areas,. Well let just say they work if you stay out of the throttle and let it drain, but if you don't it gets sucked in. I had it happen to me and luckly it runs flawless now, but I damn sure don't want to do it again. I have since put a Outterwear on it and it still sucks water through it as the sc pulls so hard.
    Best thing I have done is just watch out when I take hard 360's and I stay off the throttle until all water passes the fresh air intake.

I would put my air intake against any ski with just a rivas intake and I bet that my intake would win. The fresh air just helps that much and the rivas is still in the engine bay, with hot air.

Austin

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    both of you guys are exactly right... someone here and i think only one person found a flex hose that is completely smooth inside. I had the same idea as you austin, that in the case of water ingestion at least i have a stock air box to catch water and let it drain.. but that requires staying off the throttle for a couple minutes...

so far the most waterproof plan i've seen if something like two2currupt has... running air intake to the front storage and swiss-cheese style the hood so all the outside air comes in... it's an indirect way of "cooler" air, but not directly sucking from outside.

i was tryin to figure a way which i could get creative and with extreme easy have that pipe go from glove box vent to the stock air box... then when i do tricks and waters are rough do something and the pipe comes off the stock air box and floats in the bottom of the hull as a vent baically jsut going back to stock form. Be real james bondish if i would wire a motorized arm that i hit the bottom and it puts the pipe on the air box in what way, hit the button again and it removes the pipe from the stock air box, haha

still brainstorming... i'm open to any ideas, and if anyone knows a location for some kind of smooth interior ducting let me know.

do you think a fan pressurizing the stock air box is a waste of time or i should still keep it in the picture?

+1
    I have made a air intake system which brings in outside ar and have not had any water injestion. I posted it with many pictures about three to four weeks ago and it is still in the forum. Just look for a post by Sundance. It works great--in 100 degree plus outside temps and I run
    8150 rpm all the time--absolutly no heat fade. Good luck.

I've only tipped the ski over when I have a passanger and instead of falling off they hold on for dear life. For now on I'll carry no passangers so I can install my air intake. It will be a 10 foot piece of PVC going straight up like a flag pole. Ain't no watter getting in there.

+1
    Opps--forgot to answer your question as to where to get smooth bore 3 inch ID hose. I got mine form my local NAPA store. Their standard three foot length works perfect off the front of the Rival power pipe. Ends up just under the middle of the top small storgae bin. The hose is expensive--but what the heck--if heat fade is beat--who cares. Dont forget my post with pictures---RXP Oustide Air Package---by Sundance --just looked and its on either page four or page five.

+1
    Ray doesn't spin around and do a bunch of 360's as per his post.
    So water in his intake wouldn't happen.

+1
    When using hose you need to be careful on kinks or anything that deviates from a smooth surface. Length of hose matters as well. Remember that the quickest way between any 2 given points is straight. Also remeber that the fastest way is the shortest way. If the hose is too long you will incounter loss of boost because of excessive length. Just some things to consider.
    Since I lost my shop I am unable to fab stainless pipe bends to incorporate my own design hence I orderred the Riva intake as well as exhaust. Katrina got me good.

Just drill a hole directly out the back above the tow hook and run the airfilter out there and stick a cover over the sides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information