Thread: Muffler ???

Muffler ???

I need to find out if these mufflers affect performance if removed, or are they there just for noise reduction.
    This is a typical 787 set up with tuned pipe, water box with water control valve, and a huge horizontal muffler...

it took hours to remove the Port engine muffler to correct the hodge podge job that was leaking before I got the boat...
    after doing so, and removing that huge styrofoam block, it looks so much cleaner (after cleaning the mold) and open so that you could see any issues, if any should arise back there.

I would like to here from someone that knows, if these additional "mufflers" are just for sound reduction and not some crazy back pressure thing needed for these 2 strokes, since they already have a water box and water control valve...
    Most seadoo ski`s have the one water box or muffler with maybe a resonator depending on model...

just would like to know if removing them will upset the tune of the engines...
    I`m not worried about the db level. riding in the boat is loud from wind noise anyways...

Thanks...

#27 is the muffler,the outlet was damaged from a previous overheat...and needs to be replaced... plus the hose as well...

Beuller? anyone with any thoughts?
    dam.....

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you have to keep the waterbox that has the water regulator but the other one...I would think that you can take it out. looks like a resonator. it will be a bit louder but it wont have the drone of a straight pipe

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    you have to keep the waterbox that has the water regulator but the other one...I would think that you can take it out. looks like a resonator. it will be a bit louder but it wont have the drone of a straight pipe
    Hey Nick!
    I had a indepth conversation with Derrick about the exhaust. The pipes and waterbox with WCV that are common on the ski`s stay put. Those huge "mufflers" labeled by BRP, can come out if necc...
    There is nasty mold and dirt back in there I want to clean out at the same time be able to see where the water is leaking in from...
    I have some ideas on what can be fabbed, and also looking to rid the styrofoam block that surrounds the bilge blower fan and extend that plastic tube lower...
    just nasty mold and dirt behind that stuff...

I can`t imagine the boat being any louder than a 2 stroke ski and what I`m used to, especially with the wind noise as your mug is right above the visors...

thanks for replying!

Thread Information