Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'05 RXP stopped running - won't start

I've got a 05 RXP 215 that I was coming back on when it just died - running about 3/4 throttle. From that point it wouldn't restart - I had it towed to my dock where it's been since - I've tried starting it a few times but nothing - I do hear the fuel pump running yet all I get from the engine is click-click-click. I've pulled the plugs and checked inside - plugs good / no metal / no gooey oil/water mix - What could it be? I've had the SC rebuilt, and the ski only has 88 hours. Could I have injested something into the intake? I'm heading down this weekend to further investigate but any thoughts as to where I should start would help. I haven't had a chance to check for any error codes so I'll do that when I'm in front of the ski. Thanks for any help.

+1
    First thing to do is pull the charger and inspect. Im assuming your battery and charging system is good.

+1
    Any noises when it died? You need to find out if the motor will spin to make sure something isn't broken.....

+1
    Could be Blown SC bearings, flywheel bolts broke, or timing chain broke. If your plugs were damaged, I would say dropped valve.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Could be Blown SC bearings, flywheel bolts broke, or timing chain broke. If your plugs were damaged, I would say dropped valve.
    No noises when it stopped running - just shut down - I had the SC rebuilt last summer and only put about 10hrs. on it...I'm gonna pull the SC this week. If that's ok, what do I look for next - flywheel? timing chain. Are these 2 things I can check out w/o pulling the engine apart (or at minimum removing a few bolts/covers/etc.)?

I also put a new battery in - barely could get the engine to turn over - then I pulled the plugs to release compression and the engine again would barely turn over - seems to me that something's holding the engine back - SC? Flywheel? Also checked the impeller and nothing's in there.

+1
    Timing chain +1

+1
    I agree with the timing chain theory, sounds like the valves are not opening causing the cranking resistance. Eight bolts and you can quickly pull the valve cover and verify.

One other thing, and it's a stretch, make sure the pump is not siezed.

Thanks.....I'll be digging into this this week - I'm sure I'll need some guidance once I get in to it....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dbi77 View Post
    Thanks.....I'll be digging into this this week - I'm sure I'll need some guidance once I get in to it....
    Keep us posted, welcome to Greenhulk BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    Keep us posted, welcome to Greenhulk BTW.
    Got my SC pulled - seized like a mutha! This was rebuilt last year so dont know what went wrong there as i only put about 8 hours on since. Will be sending back for rebuild /exploration. Now that ive got most of this apart what else should i be looking for while i wait for the SC? Is it ok to turn the engine over without the SC to make sure nothing else is fried? Should i pull the valve cover and check timing chain? How about the prop shaft area? Thanks in advance for any advice! Happy 4th!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information