Pittsburgh, PA

Put In Bay trip from mainland Ohio on a jetboat?

I live in Pittsburgh, and my friends and I were talking about a weekend trip this summer with my 18' SeaDoo Challenger 1800 (twin 2 stroke 787 engines) along with my friend's 18 foot I/O. We would love to go to Put In Bay in Lake Erie, but all hotels on the island are booked.

Would it be realistic to stay at a hotel on the mainland, and boat to Put In Bay early in the morning then come back to the mainland late at night? Obviously safety measures would be taken (wearing jackets, handheld spot lights, VHF radios, etc)

It looks to be only a 4-5 mile trip from mainland to the island, but I wasn't sure about how big the waves are (the jetboat wouldn't do well against large ones)

Can anyone provide insight? Thanks!

Teays Valley, West Virginia
    i doubt the waves are bad, they ferry peoples vehicles over i believe

Cleveland, Ohio
    That's really a gamble but tons of people do it. The "problem" with Lake Erie is how fast it can kick up a small craft advisory. There are campgrounds on the island if you're at all interested in that. The mainland hotels also book up but not as far out. It's not that bad of a ride on a normal 2ft or less day but in 2-3's it could get messy. Anything larger and you'd be staying the night. lol

Thread Information