Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing Exhaust from GP1200R

I'm tearing down my ski to get the middle cylinder out and have all the bolts removed from the exhaust chamber, including the 3 that go into the exhaust manifold, but cannot seem to separate the chamber from the manifold.

Is there a trick to separating the chamber from the manifold?

Thanks

+1
    If its a gpr it should have two studs on the top of the exhaust manifold and two bolts on the bottom so you have to remove all three cylinder to exhaust bolts so you can wiggle the exhaust manifold away from the cylinder to clear the studs
    Then just rock the cylinder gently back and forth to unseat it then once it comes up just slide it up and over the piston. At least that's the way I did it..

Nate

+1
    Oh remove the Stinger and unbolt the u pipe also...

Thanks for the reply. The stinger is out, it is the piece between the stinger and exhaust manifold that is the issue. Did you just unbolt the manifold and pull it out in one big piece?

+1
    One the #1 cylinder there is a bracket that holds the u pipe take them out and undo all bolts that hold exhaust manifold to cylinders should be 10 bolts and two nuts then u pipe will be loose just pull the manifold towards the hull until the studs on cylinder #2 clears then wiggle cylinder until it slides off takes some patience..

Nate

I literally just did this last weekend...

It seems everyone so far is telling you how to get the exhaust manifold off, but im thinking you are trying to unbolt the exhaust CHAMBER from the manifold first.. if that is the case you still have one bolt to go. search around for the cajundude write up on exhaust removal. At that joint the chamber has 4 bolts (see bolts 20 and 21 at the link below) 3 are the short-ish ~3in and one is ~5in, it sounds like you only have 2 shorts and one long out so far. The other bolt is hiding from you along the port side of the ski use a universal joint and an extension to sneak between the ski and the exhaust and back that bolt out.. mine was in there so good I could only get 1/4 turns out of it before the universal joint would bind up, take it slow and be careful not to round the bolt. You should be able to squeeze you hand in from underneath and feel the top of the bolt to set your socket.

Good luck!

http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/O...00AA_-_2002%29

+1
    Try twisting it out. Its a funky fit

It's going to be much easier to remove once i get the hidden bolt out next to the hull. Somehow I managed to miss it. Double checked the service manual and sure enough, there are four bolts that go into the manifold.

Any tips for getting that one out? Can't seem to get a socket wrench in there.

Try a deep well socket and or combinations of some small extensions.

+1
    That one's a bitch, takes time, try different tools, and take your time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information