2004 Polaris MSX 150 will idle won't take throttle

I have a 2004 MSX 150 that will idle all day long and idle great, but when I apply the throttle it won't take any throttle, will just stay and idle, has anyone ran into this problem and what did you find to be the issue.

Thanks,

Are there any light flashing sounds like throttle position sensor is not sending signal to comp. did u check to see if cable to tps is moving sensor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meyer54 View Post
    I have a 2004 MSX 150 that will idle all day long and idle great, but when I apply the throttle it won't take any throttle, will just stay and idle, has anyone ran into this problem and what did you find to be the issue.

Thanks,
    Welcome,

With zero history we will all be making stabs in the dark, give us some background?

I have seen the throttle plate seize in the housing, take the intake tube off and see if you can move it with your fingers. Thats my wild stab in the dark- it could be one of a hundred things.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

The MSX 110/150 have a electronic throttle control system (ETC). The throttle cable from the finger trigger goes to the PPU (Pedal Position Unit)... pull storage tub and look under steering... follow the cable. This PPU sends signals to the PPU IFB (Interface Box)... square looking thing plugged into wire harness on right side of storage bin area. This PPU IFB sends the ECU the data it needs on the throttle position. The ECU then controls the ETB (electronic throttle body) based on many parameters.

Perhaps you could try the ETB Relearn procedure... listen for the hum from the ETB as the ECU sweeps it. Good place to start...

Here is what the Service Manual says.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) / Pedal Position Unit (PPU)
    A unique function of the Bosch ME-- Motronic 7.4.4 Engine Management System is its use of a “Fly--By--Wire”
    or Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system. In this system, the throttle flipper is not directly connected to the
    the throttle plate, but rather a pedal position unit or PPU.
    Four components make up the ETC system:
    > Pedal Position Unit (PPU)
    > Engine Control Unit (ECU)
    > Electronic Throttle Body (ETB)
    > PPU Interface Box (IFB)

The PPU and ETB use two position sensors each to relay and verify the exact position of each component to the
    ECU. The ECU continuously monitors all four position sensors. In the event that any one sensor fails, the ECU
    will go into the LIMP--HOME mode, illuminate the CHECK ENGINE MIL light, and store the applicable trouble
    code.

ETB Learning Procedure
    The ECU must perform the ECU / ETB learning procedure when ever the ECU or ETB is replaced with a new
    part. During the procedure, the ECU sweeps the throttle plate from full open to full close and “learns” the unique
    characteristics of the ETB.
    1. Engine must be OFF, and lanyard removed from stop switch.
    2. The PPU must be at absolute 0. (Increase the throttle flipper cable freeplay to ensure PPU is set to
    absolute zero and that cable is not kinked.)
    3. Verify the battery voltage is at or above 10.1 Vdc, and that the engine temp. is between 42 and 176_F.
    The outside ambient temp. must be at least 42_F.
    4. Install the new ETB or ECU.
    5. Insert the lanyard into the stop switch for AT LEAST 30 seconds.
    6. Remove lanyard and wait for AT LEAST 2 minutes.
    7. Insert lanyard and re--start engine. Re--set the throttle flipper cable freeplay to what it was prior to
    performing process.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

Hey man what did you find with your ski? Mine does the same but I have a red light and check engine.
    Did you have any lights

when the ecu sweeps the etb is the butterfly supposed to open all the way? or is it normal to just open an 1/8th inch? im trying to find out if my throttle body is bad or ppu or tps. any tips?

throttle body electrical box was clean no corrosion (i was very carful taking it apart just like everyone says)

throttle cable pulls the tps all the way around, but i do not get any response from throttle lever.

when etb is humming i can not push the butterfly at all as if it is seized

when etb is not humming then i can push it but it seems it has a very strong spring (is this normal?)

are there any other tests i can do before i start throwing parts at it?

I took this thing in on trade, started it in drive way before i read not to start out of water. put in water and gave it throttle and it went about 100 yards with almost no throttle like it had no power. then it quit throttleing at all and i can not get the butterfly to open more then an 1/8th inch when i do the etb relearn

PLEASE HELP!!

I have half a mind to part it out but i'd much rather enjoy it.

same problem

i left my machines symptoms on this thread can someone give me some pointers before i gotta start throwing parts at it or tear it appart and part it out

+1
    When you do the ETB learn it pulls the throttle hard closed and only opens a little as you described.(this is normal) I have never seen one do a sweep as i have seen it written.
    You should be able to open it with your fingers but it does take some effort.
    Pulling the throttle open you should witness it open the plate all the way.

Check the PPU for travel and corrosion if you cant see anything substitution may be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by natefarish View Post
    when the ecu sweeps the etb is the butterfly supposed to open all the way? or is it normal to just open an 1/8th inch? im trying to find out if my throttle body is bad or ppu or tps. any tips?

throttle body electrical box was clean no corrosion (i was very carful taking it apart just like everyone says)

throttle cable pulls the tps all the way around, but i do not get any response from throttle lever.

when etb is humming i can not push the butterfly at all as if it is seized

when etb is not humming then i can push it but it seems it has a very strong spring (is this normal?)

are there any other tests i can do before i start throwing parts at it?

I took this thing in on trade, started it in drive way before i read not to start out of water. put in water and gave it throttle and it went about 100 yards with almost no throttle like it had no power. then it quit throttleing at all and i can not get the butterfly to open more then an 1/8th inch when i do the etb relearn

PLEASE HELP!!

I have half a mind to part it out but i'd much rather enjoy it.

Thread Information