1995 SL750 Cooling

Please educate me. I took off the inlet hose (next to the water flush mount) and put it in a bucket of water for cooling on dry land. Should that have been sucking up water or does there need to be back pressure that pushes it through the engine for cooling? Currently it didn't suck any water up therefore it wasn't cooling at all.

When I put a hose on the inlet, it finally spit out some water (only while running, hose was shut off while not on).

So......am I misunderstanding something? Thanks!

+1
    The water flush mount is typically installed on the water rail. The bottom outlet of the water rail contains the thermostat and pop off valve. The hose connected to the grey plastic housing is routed to the back of the ski and attached to the same outlet as the exhaust hose. This is the outlet of the cooling water.

The inlet for the cooling system is located inside the pump nozzle, travels up the water pipe along side the jet pump, passes through the hull, and connects to the exhaust pipe in several locations. Water is forced in while the motor is running and the impeller is forcing water out of the jet pump.

I think you have it backwards.

I plugged it into part number 1 in this parts diagram. http://www.polarispartshouse.com/hom...70/20330/28014 That is the incorrect hose?

Should I be using the one that run under the engine? Also, should either of those be able to suck water out of a bucket? Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    It will not suck water out of a bucket no matter where you put it. You either need the ski in the water or you need pressure from a garden hose to cool the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    It will not suck water out of a bucket no matter where you put it. You either need the ski in the water or you need pressure from a garden hose to cool the engine.
    Awesome, that's the answer I was hoping to hear! I'm used to my Ford 351 PCM inboard ski boat (which does suck in) and just don't know how these work. I feel confident enough to take it out now.

Banned User
    +1
    there is no water pump on these engines. The cooling system draws off pressure from the jet pump.

home depot is your friend .

Thread Information