99 SLX with a bad stator, maybe

So here's my story, I recently bought a 99 SLX. It seemed to run ok at first, it would try to die when I first hit the gas after leaving the no wake zone, just by feathering the gas it would get up and go and run fine, if you stop it was the same story all over again. Im not a mechanic but to me it seemed like carburetor issue but that was just a guess. We took it to the lake 4 times and put maybee 3 hours on it. The we were up there and all of a sudden it didn't have any power. Full throttle it would not get above 3 mph.

So I took it to the only shop in town that I can find to work on Polaris. He called me 2 days later and said it had a bad stator and he could not locate one because they are not manufactured any more, and even if he had one it would be at least 10 hours of labor @$90 per hour to replace it.

I don't have anywhere local to get a second opinion so can you guys tell me if this guy is full of it? Is it worth it for me to try to fix it?

Also in October of 2010 the previous owner had a new stater, cdi and something else installed at the same shop, im not sure but I got the impression from the guy that his kids had grown and moved out and it didn't get rode much, so I'm guessing that the stator has gone out again with minimal hours put on the ski.

Please feel free to chime in with your opinion, I don't know of I should just sell it as is, and consider it a lesson learned or try to part it out or if the shop is even right about what is wrong with it.

Thanks in advance

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    Rochester, New York
    Dont sell or part it out. All the info and help you need is here on the forums. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but at a minimum, we can help try to diagnose it so you can make an informed decision. I would not trust a mechanic that makes claims like that.

You can do some basic tests to see if the stator is good and if you have the old or new updated style.

Click the above link, click "Polaris Domestic Engine" link, then read up on the CDI / Ignition section. It will, in great detail, explain how to check which version you have, and as a result of that info, how to test it. All you need is a simple ohm meter. Test it out and let us know what you find.

That mechanic was trying to get out of working on it. Hell, you could pull the whole engine and jet pump, replace the stator and put it back in way less than half the 10 hours he quoted.

Thanks I'll read up on it and see what I can do.

Thread Information